Computer running slow during game, new parts didn't help.

Old May 11th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Computer running slow during game, new parts didn't help.

Okay, this is the issue my brother is having:
He says he can't play Tiger Woods PGA Golf 2004 because the game slows
to a crawl. It appears the longer the computer is on the more sluggish
the game gets.
He doesn't play any intensive games, but this is why we had upgraded
the computer last week.
We settled on the following components:
JUST PC JPC767P White Steel ATX Mid Tower 450W Power Supply - Retail
POWER SP|485W(P4)EG495P-VE SFMA - Retail - JUST UPGRADED TO THIS
MSI 865PE NEO2-V 865PE 478 MB - Retail - JUST UPGRADED TO THIS
Intel Celeron D 330 2.66Gh Prescott 533MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket
478 Processor - Retail
CORSAIR 1Gb x 2 D400 VS2GBKIT400C3 Memory - JUST UPGRADED TO THIS
POWERCOLOR R96-LD3 Radeon 9550 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200R0 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra
ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM x 2
Windows XP Pro.
Norton's Internet Security and SystemWorks both 2006 versions

The only thing we haven't changed is the case and the video card.
Everything else has been purchased within the last 2-3 months. I guess
it's the video card, but I wanted opinions about this issue, and more
importantly, recommendations on a replacement video card, that can
handle video intensive games in case he wants to eventually play them.

This will mean alot to us, as we play the Tiger Woods game together.
Thanks for anyone's help!!!
Old May 12th 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"ByteGuy" wrote in message
[...]

right here! or a heat issue

Old May 12th 06, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , ByteGuy
says...

Norton's Internet Security and SystemWorks both 2006 versions

Oh dear. First thing I uninstall on a system.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 13th 06, 07:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

ByteGuy wrote:
[...]

Fresh install of XP Pro? Have you installed the Updates?

Norton can really mess up some systems.

The processor is pretty crap, as is the video card.

What are the recommended components to play the game you're having
problems with?

What is the case airflow like? Do you even have a case fan? Are all the
other fans working okay? What are the system, CPU, and GPU temps?

Unless you want to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCI-E graphics
capabilities, you're going to be looking for AGP 8x cards such as an ATi
X1600 Pro based card or a nVidia 6600GT based card. Bear in mind I am
not familiar with these new ATi cards, so I would have to lean towards
the nVidia based card.

Regards,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Fan speeds Texas Yankee Overclocking 6 March 8th 06 05:09 PM
Main Parts Of A Computer Fazly Mohamed General Hardware 0 February 23rd 04 05:25 AM
Low income artist wants to trade Graphics work for computer parts: How about custom screensaver for your Computer Shop Customers? DN General 0 November 2nd 03 11:21 PM
CATALYST™ Release Notes Version 3.8 Pluvious Ati Videocards 17 October 12th 03 03:40 PM