SLow game

Old March 30th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default SLow game

Hi Folks,
I am playing NFS Most wanted using a AIW9600XT on a P4 3.0Ghz and 1Gig of
ram, the mobo is an ASUS P4P800SE.
It is painfully slow, even on the lowest detail and 640x480 it takes just
under 2secs for the clock to advance 1 sec.
I have a fresh install of WinXP Pro and the latest ATI drivers.
Sorry, I haven't got any more specifics I am just hoping somebody can point
me in the right direction to start with troubleshooting.
Thank you in advance,
Ian

Old March 31st 06, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Hi,
Thank you for the reply, yes I did, before anything else as the nic drivers
are on the same cd I installed them all at the same time.
I have moved on a step since posting the question, i installed the drivers
without the control centre and it has definately made an improvement.
Is it worth having the control centre installed?
Regards,
Ian

Old March 31st 06, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

No idea. I'm using an older Radeon 7200 VIVO so I've left the drivers get
very outdated as it all works as is. Newest setup has a nVidia card in it.
Of the two, nVidia's been a lot less hassle but most problems revolve around
Radeon's VIVO. Never again, I'll get a separate tuner card from now on.

Old April 3rd 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"Ian D. Weatherall" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Folks,
I am playing NFS Most wanted using a AIW9600XT on a P4 3.0Ghz and 1Gig of
ram, the mobo is an ASUS P4P800SE.
It is painfully slow, even on the lowest detail and 640x480 it takes just
under 2secs for the clock to advance 1 sec.
I have a fresh install of WinXP Pro and the latest ATI drivers.
Sorry, I haven't got any more specifics I am just hoping somebody can
point me in the right direction to start with troubleshooting.
Thank you in advance,
Ian

install the drivers properly

Old April 9th 06, 01:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 04:21:59 +0100, Ian D. Weatherall
wrote:

Hi,
Thank you for the reply, yes I did, before anything else as the nic
drivers
are on the same cd I installed them all at the same time.
I have moved on a step since posting the question, i installed the
drivers
without the control centre and it has definately made an improvement.
Is it worth having the control centre installed?
Regards,
Ian

Control Centre won't affect the performance of your game. It sounds like
you need to either address the motherboard drivers again or look hard at
your system BIOS. Performance that bad points to a nasty in one of those
areas. try to (in this order) remove ATI drivers, re-install board
drivers, reboot, re-install ATI drivers. Oh and check that DirectX is in
good order for the hell of it. Quickest way to get the latest 9.0c is to
SP2 your Windows XP. In dxdiag, do you pass the D3D tests and is
acceleration showing as enabled? Finally look in BIOS and see what's
happening, make sure you have a sensible AGP aperture at least equal to
the memory of the 9600, and that the BIOS is enabling 8xAGP, 4X at least.
When all this is done, look at the Control Centre and see that all is well
in the SmartGart display. If FastWrites will work for you then enable them
in BIOS and see that SmartGart shows this. Start with all this and see
how you get on!

Best,

Ian.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-0, 08/04/2006
Tested on: 09/04/2006 01:04:51