Info required for Core 2 Duo and Abit AB9 pro M/B overclock?

Old May 13th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
P Gagg

Default Info required for Core 2 Duo and Abit AB9 pro M/B overclock?

Hi...

During the last couple of days I have just built myself a nice new Intel Core 2 Duo
E6600 based pc, and I have it working great, but I would like clarification of the
settings needed to overclock the pc.

I have already got the cpu to 2.7Ghz using 9x multiplier and 300 FSB (stock setting
is 9 x 272 = 2.4Ghz) and have tested it ok (using Sandra Lite, and CPU Stress
Tester) and the max temp for the cpu never goes above 50 degrees C.

Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also worked great
(tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above 51
degrees C.

However, CPU-Z and Sandra Lite and Speedfan all report the cpu speed as 3.1Ghz
using these settings from the bios?

Now I know that this is a very new M/B and therefore some programs may not be
reporting the speeds / settings correctly, so I just wanted to clarify what settings
other overclockers are using?

I've read many reports that this sort of set-up should easily get over 3Ghz speeds.
But what settings should I set in the bios, specifically for the cpu multiplier? the FSB?
the memory (so far I have NOT changed any memory settings) and the DRam spec?
and the core voltage? (so far I have not cahnged any voltages).

NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu clock = 300, so
DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I think my
Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?

Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx

The complete PC spec is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (4Mb cache)
Arctic Cooling Pro 7 fan and heatsink (also used arctic silver thermal compound)
Abit AB9 Pro (WiFi) M/B
2 x Gb crucial Ballistix DDR2 ram ( 2 x 1Gb chips running in dual channel mode)
Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card (320Mb)
Arctic 600w (modular) PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb SATA H/D
LG SATA DVD/CD writer
LG 19" TFT (widescreen)
Sony 1.44Mb FDD

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/
Old May 13th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
pg

What does the C1E function on this M/B do? (it is set to auto by
default, but it can be disabled).

Also, what does the thermal control bit of the bios do on this M/B? eg:
should I have it enabled or disabled? (its enabled by default).

Thanx

Old May 13th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

P Gagg wrote:
NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
clock = 300, so DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit
thats confusing me, I think my Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz
(400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?

Look at your "DRAM Spec. (CPURAM)" in the µGuru. It seems to
set the ratio. If it is on auto, it may be setting the ratio to other than
1:1. On my Biostar board, I have to manually set a "System Memory
Frequency" to 533 to get a 1:1 ratio-- how intuitive is that?!

Old May 13th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Len Hickman

NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
clock = 300, so
DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
think my
Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
than 400?

Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

You have actually answered you own question
You have raised the FSB speed and the memory clock is tied to the FSB in a
ratio of 2:3 hence the higher than rated speed.
On my system using an E6600 at 333 FSB my memory is running at 499.5MHz.
This gives an over clock from 2.4 to 2.997 GHz on stock cooling.
If your BIOS allows it, lock the PCI-E bus to 100MHz to be safe, at least
don't let it go above 115MHz or you will probably get data corruption on
accesses to your hard disc.
( I found this out the hard way!)
I have an ASUS board that allows the locked PCI-E bus speed and provides 2
methods of setting the memory parameters. I can either tell it I'm using
800Mhz Memory and it then sets timings accordingly or I can manualy set the
memory timings.
I have erred on the cautious side and told it to use 800Mhz timings.

I have had it running stable at a FSB 354Mhz & Mem 530Mhz giving 3.2Ghz a
33% overclock on stock cooling in a cool room! Better cooling will be
required here for the summer.....

Len

Old May 13th 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
pg

Thanx for the info Len.

Out of interest how hot is your cpu getting when clocked? mine never
seems to go above 50 (51 max under load and around 30 at idle) but not
sure if this is good or bad? I thought the max temp for this cpu is 65,
so if I'm only getting to 50 then I thought that was ok.

Thanx

Old May 14th 07, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin[_2_]

"PG" wrote in message
Thanx for the info Len.

Out of interest how hot is your cpu getting when clocked? mine never seems
to go above 50 (51 max under load and around 30 at idle) but not sure if
this is good or bad? I thought the max temp for this cpu is 65, so if I'm
only getting to 50 then I thought that was ok.

Thanx

Your temps are fine and very close to my liquid cooled E6600. My idle temps
are 28-31C (ambient room at about 25C) and load temps in the high 40s. I use
the P5N32-SLI and am having a bit of a problem with MB temps getting higher
than my CPU temps so for the meantime I am at 2.8ghz on the CPU. I may have
to get a water block for the northbridge and maybe do a little modding to
get the temp down. I have had the CPU stable at 3.2ghz but didn't like the
MB temps up near 49C. At 2.8 the MB temps are only at about 40C (what it is
at stock speed).

Ed

Old May 16th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Forrest[_3_]

"P Gagg" wrote in message
. 153.2.1...
[...]

I have the same CPU. I also have 800 MHz ram, running at stock speed and
voltage etc. Since you are experimenting with an "8" multiplier, give 400
fsb a try. It will let you run your ram synchronized at 1:1 if you lock the
ram to that speed. I ran mine all of last night under 100% load at that
setting, which gives you a 3.2 gig speed. I'm using a Zalman's CNPS9500AT on
the CPU and ran at stock V core voltage, (1.325). The hotter of the two
cores only got to 60 and the second at about 57. I would guess that the room
temp was around 72 Fahrenheit. I sure do love this chip!

Old May 17th 07, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Try Orthos with small FFTs to get a real workout with 100% load on both
CPUs. Each CPU should have the same temperature.

Phil Weldon

news |

Old May 17th 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Forrest[_3_]

" Each CPU should have the same temperature."

Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs, my PCU
0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter if I'm
OCd or not.

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
link.net...
Try Orthos with small FFTs to get a real workout with 100% load on both
CPUs. Each CPU should have the same temperature.

Phil Weldon

news |