BIOS Update without floppy

Old September 2nd 07, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Brendan Irvine

Default BIOS Update without floppy

G'day all
Since we no longer use floppy discs anymore, i find it annoying that many
BIOS updates still require them. ASUS pretend they have got around this with
their ASUS Update. It doesn't work for me. I keep getting the error message
"sorry there's no proper BIOS image file on the server" despite attempting
all servers available on the update program. the FTP site doesn't appear to
work either.
Any suggestions? I'm sure others have managed to update their ASUS mobo BIOS
without a floppy.
I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe - current BIOS version 1008.003
Thanks in advance
B1.

Old September 2nd 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Hollingsworth[_2_]

In article , b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net

*From:* "Brendan Irvine" b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net
*Date:* Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:01:16 +1000

G'day all
Since we no longer use floppy discs anymore, i find it annoying
that many BIOS updates still require them. ASUS pretend they have
got around this with their ASUS Update. It doesn't work for me. I
keep getting the error message "sorry there's no proper BIOS image
file on the server" despite attempting all servers available on the
update program. the FTP site doesn't appear to work either.
Any suggestions? I'm sure others have managed to update their ASUS
mobo BIOS without a floppy.
I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe - current BIOS version 1008.003
Thanks in advance
B1.

Make a bootable CD with the BIOS file on it.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.
Old September 2nd 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John

Hi, some newer mainboard can update from bios settings itself.....
I dont know if youre mainboard has this option.
Otherwise, make a boottable usbstick with this files.

gr. John

Old September 2nd 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ron Miller

*From:* "Brendan Irvine" b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net
*Date:* Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:01:16 +1000

G'day all
Since we no longer use floppy discs anymore, i find it annoying
that many BIOS updates still require them. ASUS pretend they have
got around this with their ASUS Update. It doesn't work for me. I
keep getting the error message "sorry there's no proper BIOS image
file on the server" despite attempting all servers available on the
update program. the FTP site doesn't appear to work either.
Any suggestions? I'm sure others have managed to update their ASUS
mobo BIOS without a floppy.
I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe - current BIOS version 1008.003
Thanks in advance
B1.

Make a bootable CD with the BIOS file on it.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

If you use Asus EZ Flash, perhaps the CD will not even have to be
bootable. It should merely have to have the BIN file on it. I actually
have a floppy just to make flashing easier, so I've never tried EZ Flash
with a nonbootable CD, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Ron
Old September 2nd 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Hollingsworth[_2_]

In article ,

*From:* Ron Miller
*Date:* Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:13:29 -0400

John Hollingsworth wrote:
In article ,
b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net

*From:* "Brendan Irvine" b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net
*Date:* Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:01:16 +1000

G'day all
[...]

I think EZ Flash needs a floppy.

Old September 2nd 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill

In article , "Brendan
Irvine" b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net says...
G'day all
Since we no longer use floppy discs anymore, i find it annoying that many
BIOS updates still require them.

Every PC here has a floppy. Perhaps you should install
one.

ASUS pretend they have got around this with
their ASUS Update. It doesn't work for me. I keep getting the error message
"sorry there's no proper BIOS image file on the server" despite attempting
all servers available on the update program. the FTP site doesn't appear to
work either.
Any suggestions? I'm sure others have managed to update their ASUS mobo BIOS
without a floppy.
I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe - current BIOS version 1008.003
Thanks in advance
B1.

Are you using the latest version of the update program?
Have you tried downloading the bios then installing with
the latest windows update program from the hard drive?

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and
WebTV.
Old September 2nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Egil Solberg

Are you using the latest version of the update program?
Have you tried downloading the bios then installing with
the latest windows update program from the hard drive?

Bill

For me that has worked fine several times. I'm not longer weary of flashing
from Windows.

Old September 2nd 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Stephen

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:01:16 +1000, "Brendan Irvine"
b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
out:

G'day all
Since we no longer use floppy discs anymore, i find it annoying that many
BIOS updates still require them. ASUS pretend they have got around this with
their ASUS Update. It doesn't work for me. I keep getting the error message
"sorry there's no proper BIOS image file on the server" despite attempting
all servers available on the update program. the FTP site doesn't appear to
work either.
Any suggestions? I'm sure others have managed to update their ASUS mobo BIOS
without a floppy.
I'm using an ASUS A8V Deluxe - current BIOS version 1008.003
Thanks in advance
B1.

Download the bios and point the program to it.

Or use one of the following and the bios file you downloaded:
The flash function built in to the ASUS bios, it's in the manual.
USB thumb drive.
Bootable cd.
USB floppy.

Stephen
Old September 2nd 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
milleron[_2_]

John Hollingsworth wrote:
In article ,

*From:* Ron Miller
*Date:* Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:13:29 -0400

John Hollingsworth wrote:
In article ,
b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net

*From:* "Brendan Irvine" b1.at.ausdoctors.dot.net
*Date:* Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:01:16 +1000

G'day all
[...]

It won't work with a thumb drive, either?
Old September 2nd 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clas Mehus

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:33:41 -0700, Sam wrote:

Nope! Either a CD or a USB flash drive will work. I've successfully
flashed my system using a USB thumb drive. Much faster than using a
floppy anyhow.

This depends on the model. Newer boards supports usb-memory, while a
bit older boards with EzF need floppy or CD.

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."