Finding the USB2.0 port at the back of PC

Old August 28th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Olumide

Default Finding the USB2.0 port at the back of PC

On 28 Aug, 17:10, Olumide wrote:
Thanks Paul. Its not just that. According to Yahoo webcam statistics,
the camera's resolution is 320 x ??? (I forget the other number -- I
think its 280. The camera is now in its box on the floor of my room,
ready to be returned to the store, and I'm at the office).

I don't understand why this creative cam should give so much trouble.
The first camera that I bought (it was a Logitech quickcam) worked
brilliantly well on the same computer -- but it stopped the cygwin/
xfree X-server from working (a known issue with logitech drivers and
the cygwin/xfree x-server), so I had to return it .

Old August 29th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Olumide

On 28 Aug, 05:35, Paul wrote:

"try ussing the Focus ring around the lens to properly focus the camera"

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...18&subcategory...

"Adjustable manual focus ring"

So I brought the camera back to the office, reinstalled the drivers
and tried adjusting the manual focus ring. It was okay, but not nearly
as crisp as my sweet sweet Phillips SPC 600 NC webcam which by the
way, did not complain of a non-existent highspeed USB2.0 port when I
also tested at the office.

Old August 29th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"Olumide" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 28 Aug, 05:35, Paul wrote:

"try ussing the Focus ring around the lens to properly focus the camera"

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...18&subcategory...

"Adjustable manual focus ring"

So I brought the camera back to the office, reinstalled the drivers
and tried adjusting the manual focus ring. It was okay, but not nearly
as crisp as my sweet sweet Phillips SPC 600 NC webcam which by the
way, did not complain of a non-existent highspeed USB2.0 port when I
also tested at the office.

I still say its the driver your using (or XP has inflicted upon you) for the USB 2.0.
Check the Dell site for the USB 2.0 driver for the 8300(?).
If the driver is NOT what the Camera is looking for, it will balk.

Was that Phillips a CMOS type lens or a CCD?

BIG difference in image quality.

Old August 30th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Olumide

On 29 Aug, 17:52, "JAD" john
wrote:
"Olumide" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 28 Aug, 05:35, Paul wrote:

"try ussing the Focus ring around the lens to properly focus the camera"

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...18&subcategory...

"Adjustable manual focus ring"

So I brought the camera back to the office, reinstalled the drivers
and tried adjusting the manual focus ring. It was okay, but not nearly
as crisp as my sweet sweet Phillips SPC 600 NC webcam which by the
way, did not complain of a non-existent highspeed USB2.0 port when I
also tested at the office.

I still say its the driver your using (or XP has inflicted upon you) for the USB 2.0.
Check the Dell site for the USB 2.0 driver for the 8300(?).
If the driver is NOT what the Camera is looking for, it will balk.

Was that Phillips a CMOS type lens or a CCD?

BIG difference in image quality.

According to the specs (see http://tinyurl.com/yu4vby ), its sensor is
of type CMOS. The creative Live! webcam sensor is VGA (is that a
type?) -- see http://tinyurl.com/2y7ek2

Anyway, if I understand the gist this article, http://www.dalsa.com/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.asp,
neither technology is better than the other.

Just one tiny question, and I'm afraid it betrays my ignorance of
electronics, but do manufacturers charge way too much for something so
small and light, considering the economies of scale.

PS: I think my next webcam will be a Philips. I'm thinking the
SPC525NC/00 -- see http://tinyurl.com/2gjdl7

Old September 4th 07, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sdlomi2[_2_]

"Olumide" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi -

I've just tried installing a 3rd webcam on a WinXP machine this week,
and like the other 2 webcams, I'm getting a message saying that the
device could perform better with a USB 2.0 port or something like that
-- also, the camera resolutions are so bad that I've had to return 2
cameras, and I may have to return this one as well, but before I do
so, I'd like to try a highspeed USB port.

The device manager lists a PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller,
but I don't know which port it is. They all look alike -- said the
n00b. If it helps I have a dimension dell 8300.

Thanks,

- Olumide

I just finished repairing s'ware problems, (via complete re-format of
h/d) on
a Dimension 4500. Altho' Device Manager mentioned USB2, I had to install
USB 2-support from the Dell driver/diagnostics(?) cd. It actually "unpacked
and wrote to the h/d" the driver and installed automatically. Apparently it
came with USB 1 installed and used the cd to upgrade to USB 2. HTH, sam

Old September 4th 07, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"sdlomi2" wrote in message
. ..

"Olumide" wrote in message
[...]

This is what I was trying to get across, and have also had the same trouble when XP loads
a USB 2.0 native driver in a dell or HP gateway.etc.

Old September 6th 07, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_3_]

In article .com, Olumide wrote:
On 28 Aug, 16:33, "John Lee Brown"
wrote:
They are all USB 2.0 since you are using XP do you have the SP2 installed?
If not then download it from MS and install it."JAD"

My installation is up to date.

There should be a little focus ring on the front of the camera.