Bios versus Linux/Windows CPU frequency speeds.

Old June 6th 04, 12:50 AM
craig

Default Bios versus Linux/Windows CPU frequency speeds.

I just bought an XP 2400+ for my ECS k7s5a board. The bios detects it as a
1600 but when booting into Linux or Windows and checking dmesg and System
Info from the respective operating systems, It reports it correctly at
2.0Ghz.

Should I upgrade my BIOS to reflect what is reported in the Operating
Systems?

thanks for any suggestions,
craig.
Old June 6th 04, 01:40 AM
Shepİ

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:50:20 GMT As another one bit the dust craig
wrote :

I just bought an XP 2400+ for my ECS k7s5a board. The bios detects it as a
1600 but when booting into Linux or Windows and checking dmesg and System
Info from the respective operating systems, It reports it correctly at
2.0Ghz.

Should I upgrade my BIOS to reflect what is reported in the Operating
Systems?

thanks for any suggestions,
craig.

Get some CPU benchmark programs and check out some benchmark sites
etc.Use a Searchy
http://www.google.com/index.html
If your CPU comes up to some of the others then don't worry.Try,"Fresh
Diagnose" for starters,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old June 6th 04, 02:34 AM
Jan Alter

I believe the XP2400 is running at FSB 266 mhz. The bios CPU FSB should be
set to 133 mhz (2 x 133) not 100 as the bios is probably incorrectly
seeing it. With that done the cpu will be running at the correct spd.

Do watch that k7s5a board. I threw mine out a few weeks ago after the bios
settings kept disappearing and had to be constantly reset. Yes, I had put a
brand new battery in place a month before. I read many complaints from
purchasers of this mb on the Neweggg site. I'd had the board for a year
without a problem and then the difficulties began. I also remember the mb
defaulting to an FSB of 100 and a jumper needing to be moved to have it read
133.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old June 6th 04, 02:42 AM
craig

I have tried this CPU in another ECS K7S5A board with a newer bios rom
update and it detects it correctly, as a AMD 2400. But I'm wondering if
the machine is actually running at 1600 and not really 2400 since the bios
is probably more lower level, etc.

There is an 'official' update on this page where it fixes the detection
for the 2400 (Search for '2400' in the page):

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/...cheepobios.htm

All I'm wondering is if I should 'defintely' update my bios because of
this non-detection.

thanks,
craig.

Old June 6th 04, 03:22 AM
Shepİ

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 01:42:10 GMT As another one bit the dust craig
wrote :

I have tried this CPU in another ECS K7S5A board with a newer bios rom
update and it detects it correctly, as a AMD 2400. But I'm wondering if
the machine is actually running at 1600 and not really 2400 since the bios
is probably more lower level, etc.

There is an 'official' update on this page where it fixes the detection
for the 2400 (Search for '2400' in the page):

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/...cheepobios.htm

All I'm wondering is if I should 'defintely' update my bios because of
this non-detection.

Post and read here,
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup

and,
http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

HTH

Old June 6th 04, 04:31 AM
kony

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 01:42:10 GMT, craig wrote:

I have tried this CPU in another ECS K7S5A board with a newer bios rom
update and it detects it correctly, as a AMD 2400. But I'm wondering if
the machine is actually running at 1600 and not really 2400 since the bios
is probably more lower level, etc.

There is an 'official' update on this page where it fixes the detection
for the 2400 (Search for '2400' in the page):

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/...cheepobios.htm

All I'm wondering is if I should 'defintely' update my bios because of
this non-detection.

thanks,
craig.

Correctly identifying the CPU's XP "name" is only cosmetic, the only
parameter you need to be concerned about is what the FSB speed is. From
your report it appears to be running correctly.

However, there might be other reasons to update the bios beyond simply
IDing the CPU, resolution of other bugs. Then again, as Jan mentioned
those boards have a bad history of dying, if it works fine as-is you might
want to leave it alone and cross your fingers (though it may still die).
Generally the newest revisions of the board seem to fare the best, but
then being newer, they haven't aged as long either so it's no reassurance.

Downgrading the BIOS of my p4p800-vm...possible? KILOWATT General 3 January 2nd 04 09:37 PM
Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem Ante Lazarusic General 4 October 23rd 03 02:22 PM
PSU kills bios!? Michael General 15 October 7th 03 02:15 PM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM