ATI was recommended for a replacement

Old January 21st 04, 01:20 PM
Trent

Default ATI was recommended for a replacement

I have a 3.5 year old Dell, PIII 700 and a nVidia G-Force AGP (2X) 256, 32mb
video card. 768meg system ram.
Videocard needs replaced. I'm not a gamer. I do photo editing and graphic
work in Photoshop. Don't *need* a TV tuner (might be nice, but not
necessary). I want to upgrade as much as I can without being an overkill.
Could you recommend a couple video cards please. Would like one with DVI.
In case it matters, my monitor is a Dell 19 in Trinitron
Thanks,
Monica

Old January 21st 04, 02:10 PM
Sleepy

The image quality of ATI is generally a little better than Nvidia. Get a
decent brand like a Hercules or Sapphire not a Powercolour which have a bad
rep for using cheap parts and hence poor image quality. Look for a 7500 -
9200 card which has DVI - here in the UK you can get one for £30 to £40 and
they're always cheaper in the US.

Old January 21st 04, 05:24 PM
Bobby

Powercolour ATI 9600 Pro. Retails at £100. VGA and DVI (and TV) outputs.
Great card. Will ensure that your graphics needs are served for the
foreseeable future. Lesser cards will be false economy since they'll become
a bottleneck at your next upgrade. Don't underestimate the effect that a
*fast* graphics card has on overall system performance. And never using your
PC for games is like never using your car for days out. Give it a try.

Bobby

Old January 21st 04, 09:59 PM
Trent

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
I guess I lied about not being a gamer When I'm waiting on a long
download, I've been known to play a mean game of Qbeez or Snood g
BTW, I DO go for days without driving my SUV lol
Monica

Old January 22nd 04, 08:35 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:20:39 -0600, "Trent" wrote:

I have a 3.5 year old Dell, PIII 700 and a nVidia G-Force AGP (2X) 256, 32mb
video card. 768meg system ram.
Videocard needs replaced. I'm not a gamer. I do photo editing and graphic
work in Photoshop. Don't *need* a TV tuner (might be nice, but not
necessary). I want to upgrade as much as I can without being an overkill.
Could you recommend a couple video cards please. Would like one with DVI.
In case it matters, my monitor is a Dell 19 in Trinitron

Snood (SPyware game) is not "gaming" - any $5 video card will work. I
see no reason why you need to replace your current video card UNLESS
your monitor has a DVI port (19" Trinitrons do not).

Since you're using an OLD Gforce1 card, the only issue your may have
is lack of DVI (Need a monitor for it) and perhaps better 2D quality.

Get a 9200se~9000Pro built BY ATI - will give you a 3 year warranty.

PS: do a google search and download "SPYWARE; Seardh and Destory" -
you can get it from download.com - very good.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 22nd 04, 12:13 PM
Trent

Video card needs replaced because the fan has stopped. I thought it was a
monitor issue till I checked the vid card and a different monitor was
showing the same problems.

The Snood remark was a joke.

I have and run Spybot and Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware Pro

Thanks for confirming that my monitor doesn't have a DVI port. Didn't think
it would

Monica

Sorry but not "any $5 video card" will work with what I specified in my

Old January 23rd 04, 03:47 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:13:01 -0600, "Trent" wrote:

Video card needs replaced because the fan has stopped. I thought it was a
monitor issue till I checked the vid card and a different monitor was
showing the same problems.

That sucks... well, then ya need a new video card. I'll stand by my
previous statement still.

The Snood remark was a joke.

I have and run Spybot and Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware Pro

Thanks for confirming that my monitor doesn't have a DVI port. Didn't think
it would

No problem.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:31 AM
Sleepy

If the existing card has a Heatsink/fan mounted on 2 posts
rather than being glued to the GPU you can easily buy a replacement for
that. I would get one for £8 at my local Maplin in the UK.