8500DV Abit BH6 / Powerleap PL-iP3/T 2.0 Issues and solutions

Old July 29th 03, 06:49 PM
Dr. J

Default 8500DV Abit BH6 / Powerleap PL-iP3/T 2.0 Issues and solutions

Hello yall.

I am posting this for all the unfortunate people who insist on being
"daft" enough to install a Radeon 8500DV (Built by ATI) on an old Abit
BH6 1.0x with SS Bios.

I wish I could have just responded to other posts but I'll be darned
if I can figure out how to do that with Google Groups.

Here is my rig's setup:

Abit BH6 1.0x with SS Bios
Powerleap PL-iP3/T 2.0
Intel Celron 1.4Ghz @ 100mhz FSB & 1.5x volts
512MB Kingston PC100 SDRAM (2 sticks of 256MB)
Windows 98 SE
ATI Radeon 8500DV All-In-Wonder 64MB running at AGP 2x
Realtek RTL8139/810X PCI NIC
LiteOn 16x10x40 CD RW drive with latest firmware
16x DVD Drive
WD 7200RPM 2MB buffer 40GB Hdd
Maxtor 5400RPM 40GB Hdd

OK here is the low down. I have read that some people have tried to
install an 8500DV on a BH6. They all seemed to have great success. I
had not been able to install mine though. The problem was that when
the drivers initiated, the system locked up. I spent 24 hours of
troubleshooting/tech support to figure out that it was in fact my
jerry-rigged processor with the Powerleap adapter that had indirectly
caused the problem.

To get the adapter to make the 1.4 Ghz Celeron to work on the BH6, the
error hold in CPU Soft Menu II had to be disabled with custom
settings. BUT when you 1st get the defaults in "custom settings"
after having a low end Celeron like my 400MHz Celeron, the AGP to CPU
clock ratio is set to 1:1. This will not work with the 8500DV even
though it worked with my old VooDoo 3 3000 AGP. The setting must be
at 2:3.

All the BIOS must be updated and I recommend that the latest drivers
are downloaded. I am currently running Catalyst 3.6.

With my rig as shown, I have managed to get a 3DMark 2001SE score of
exactly 6000 and sustained 30FPS on Star Trek Elite Force II with
balanced performance and VSync always on. Elite Force 1 is a sustained
60FPS with the same settings.

When overclocking the FSB, there is only slight performance gains.
With Turbo enabled in CPU SoftMenu II, 3DMark 2001SE had scores of
approx 6150 3D Marks. Games showed no improvement. When I upped the
FSB to 112MHz the 3DMark 2k1 only increased to 6350 marks. All higher
frequencies resulted in the failure to POST and possible corruption of
registry. This is possibly due to my RAM's inability to go to 133MHz.

The overclocking of the Radeon 8500DV with Powerleap did not help at
all. I assume that the AGP 2x bottleneck is just too much.

The card was able to have a PCI bridge for the firewire port and works
great. All the TV functionality is working very well.

The real test is when I upgrade the OS to XP Pro and NTFS with the
possibility of RAID level-0 using a Promise PCI card.

END OF LINE
Old August 5th 03, 08:54 PM
Dr. J

Ahh, I 1 upped you on that. I went to both the Abit site and the
Intel site for the latest 440BX chipset drivers released in 1999. It
made no difference. I don't really see this as a problem. Most of my
games work great with a 2/3 CPU/AGP clock ratio. I on medium settings
am getting 60fps on Elite Force 1. Thats more than fine.

I am of the belief that my MOBO just can't handle the 8500DV with
those settings. I will try 1 more time to get better mobo drivers,
but I do belive that 2/3 is the only way to go.

Are you speaking from experence? Do you have this card if not the
mobo itself?

"Giga News User" wrote in message ...
I don't have the same ABIT board mine is the BE6II,
but I was wondering, did you install the mother board drivers from the CD
that came with your mobo? If you did then pardon the question, I am not
trying to be a smart ass, just trying to help.. I know Windows 98 will give
you some drivers that may sort of work, but the ABIT drivers from their CD
will be exactly what your mobo needs.

"Dr. J" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Abit Is7,have they fixed the onboard sound issues? Rick Abit Motherboards 0 July 28th 04 10:56 PM
Any issues with running WinXP Pro on the Abit BH6 rev1.0 mainboard? Francis Abit Motherboards 1 October 18th 03 04:42 PM
p3 & abit sl6 nobodaddy Overclocking 3 July 27th 03 08:22 AM
abit / P3 nobodaddy Overclocking 1 July 26th 03 10:51 PM