A7N8X Won't power back up after being on

Old June 10th 04, 04:22 PM
Hal

Default A7N8X Won't power back up after being on

Hi all,

I have two computers with A7N8X motherboards and Aopen 350 watt power
supplies.

One of these computers will not power back up with the power on button
after I have done a Windows shutdown. It seems it needs to cool down.
Sometimes even after being turned off over night in air conditioning it
still will not power up unless I turn off the power supply for a while.

I have checked the motherboard connections and they are good.

Any ideas from the group?

TIA,

Hal
Old June 10th 04, 04:47 PM
Rob Hemmings

"Hal" wrote in message
0...
Hi all,

I have two computers with A7N8X motherboards and Aopen 350 watt power
supplies.

One of these computers will not power back up with the power on button
after I have done a Windows shutdown. It seems it needs to cool down.
Sometimes even after being turned off over night in air conditioning it
still will not power up unless I turn off the power supply for a while.

I have checked the motherboard connections and they are good.

Any ideas from the group?

Try swapping the PSUs - if the fault moves to the other PC, then
you've found the culprit. If not, unplug the soft-on front panel
switch from the mobo on the 'bad' PC and use a small screwdriver to
short the two pins after you have shut it down - if it powers-up ok,
then the power-on switch is probably faulty (I've seen this a couple
of times on different cases.)
HTH
--
Rob

Old June 11th 04, 09:58 AM
Peter R. Fletcher

I have seen this identical behaviour, too. I believe that it is a MoBo
fault, because the MoBo that I had it with was replaced under warranty
(for other, much clearer, reasons) and the replacement, with the same
case, PSU, etc., has never done it

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:22:56 -0000, Hal wrote:

Hi all,

I have two computers with A7N8X motherboards and Aopen 350 watt power
supplies.

One of these computers will not power back up with the power on button
after I have done a Windows shutdown. It seems it needs to cool down.
Sometimes even after being turned off over night in air conditioning it
still will not power up unless I turn off the power supply for a while.

I have checked the motherboard connections and they are good.

Any ideas from the group?

TIA,

Hal

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Old June 12th 04, 11:50 AM
Hal

Hal wrote in
0:

I have found that running this computer without the front panel which
allows much more air flow the problem stops. This tells me the problem
is heat related. Has anyone one ever had just heat issues with their
A7N8X not restarting or caused by the PS getting to hot?

TIA

Old June 14th 04, 10:12 AM
Peter R. Fletcher

I am sure that it is in some sense heat related, but the measured CPU
and MB temperatures were identical in my setups between the MoBo that
showed the problem and the one that didn't. I would suspect a MoBo
chip going seriously out of spec at a much lower temperature than it
should - presumably somewhere in the circuitry supplied by standby
power (since you have to actually turn off or unplug the PSU to fix
it).

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:50:28 -0000, Hal wrote:

Hal wrote in
. 30:

[...]

A7N8X Rev 2 Deluxe - Power On problem Paul CinR Asus Motherboards 2 November 15th 03 08:03 AM
P4C800-E Deluxe/SATA RAID 0/Major System Crash/Recovering Drives Paul Asus Motherboards 12 November 4th 03 05:20 PM
AM radio noise Randy General 27 July 27th 03 05:02 PM
ASUS A7N8X and Power supply selection Steve Wolfe Asus Motherboards 2 July 20th 03 11:33 PM