what the heck is smbus

Old July 11th 03, 03:28 AM
Dave

Default what the heck is smbus

what is the system managment bus? for the p4c800 deluxe?

Old July 11th 03, 03:55 AM
Tony Hwang

Hi,
From my memory, it is bunch of shift registers for system maintenance
and/or diagnostics purpose. such as BIOS safe guard, etc.
In old days big main frame processors used to have them. I think it
is same idea on mobo. I could be wrong.
Tony

Old July 11th 03, 04:17 AM
P2B

Dave wrote:

what is the system managment bus? for the p4c800 deluxe?

More properly known as the I2C bus.

I2C is an acronym for Inter-IC bus. The name literally explains it's
purpose - to provide a communication link between Integrated Circuits.
On mainboards, it's used for jumperless configuration - e.g. the BIOS
uses I2C to program the PLL with the configured FSB clock speed during
boot. Programs like SoftFSB use it to change configuration on the fly.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/mbouget/i2c-faq.html

Old July 11th 03, 05:06 AM
David H. Lipman

I'm not completely sure but I believe it means; Systems Management BUS.

Used for system sensor queries.

Will allow software to query the motherboard for; fan speed, voltages and
temperature.

Installing a SMbus driver will allow software such as AIDA32 to query the sensor
data listed above.

Dave

Reference: excerpt from Intel SMbus driver RTF

Intel (R) SMBus Driver Rev.
Draft/Changes Date

Pre-Beta Release V3.0.2.0 Initial release
of this document 04/17/00

Beta Release V3.0.3.0
Update to Product Information and 05/01/00

Known Issues

Gold Release V3.0.4.0 Update to
Product Information 05/25/00

Gold Release V3.0.6.0 Update to
Product Information 01/30/01

Gold Release V3.0.7.0
Updated driver to correct power 8/17/2001

management bug and updated

product information

Added Features
Adds additional support for ICH3 Mobile.

Kit continues to support PIIX4, ICH1, and ICH2 under the following Microsoft
Windows* operating systems: Win95*, Win98/SE, WinNT4, and Win2000.

Debug install log file created under \win dir\temp

Files Included in This Release
SMBInst.EXE

Disk1\DATA1.CAB

SHARED DLLS\I2CW.LIB

SHARED DLLS\I2CW.DLL

SHARED FILES\README.TXT

SHARED FILES\RELNOTES.RTF

WIN2000 DRIVERS\SMBUS.SYS

WIN2000 DRIVERS\SMBUSP.SYS

WIN95 DRIVERS\SMBUS.VXD

WIN95 DRIVERS\SMBUSP.VXD

WIN98 DRIVERS\SMBUS.VXD

WIN98 DRIVERS\SMBUSP.VXD

WINNT4 DRIVERS\SMBUS.SYS

WINNT4 DRIVERS\SMBUSP.SYS

WIN2000 INF\SMBUSP.INF

WIN95 INF\SMBUS.INF

WIN98 INF\SMBUS.INF

DISK1\DATA1.HDR

DISK1\DATA2.CAB

SMBINS2K.DLL

SMBINSNT.DLL

SMBINS9X.EXE

LICENSE.TXT

CORECOMP.INI

CTOR.DLL

OBJECTPS.DLL

IUSER.DLL

ISCRIPT.DLL

ILOG.DLL

DISK1\LAYOUT.BIN

DISK1\SETUP.INI

DISK1\SETUP.INX

DISK1\SETUP.ISS

DISK1\IKERNEL.EX_

DISK1\SETUP.EXE

Issues Resolved since Intel® SMBus Driver (V3.0.6.0)
Fixed handling of power management messages from operating system to ensure the
driver does not issue commands to the SMBus when the system is powering down.

Testing Suggestions for Intel® SMBus Driver (V3.0.7.0)
No testing suggestions exist for this release.

Old July 11th 03, 06:32 AM
Dave

nope, i dont have any drivers for it installed, and i get fand
speeds/voltages and all that stuff. now my question is do i need it to
overclock anything?

Old July 11th 03, 11:50 AM
David H. Lipman

No.