How long does CD-R's last

Old September 2nd 03, 01:58 PM
James Perrett

Default How long does CD-R's last

Den wrote:

Just seen this on the register;

Is their any guidelines on the lifetime of CD-R's branded and unbranded.

Den

I believe that the Media Science website may have something but CD-R's
haven't been around long enough for really good data to exist.

I recently checked the error rates on some of my old discs (around 8
years old) and, while they aren't as low as newer discs, they aren't too
bad. The older drives tended to record with higher error rates (a BLER
of less than 10 was considered good in 1995) than good modern drives
(which give BLER's of less than 1).

Cheers.

James.
Old September 2nd 03, 03:15 PM
default

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:58:05 +0100, James Perrett
wrote:

Den wrote:

Just seen this on the register;

Is their any guidelines on the lifetime of CD-R's branded and unbranded.

Den

I believe that the Media Science website may have something but CD-R's
haven't been around long enough for really good data to exist.

I recently checked the error rates on some of my old discs (around 8
years old) and, while they aren't as low as newer discs, they aren't too
bad. The older drives tended to record with higher error rates (a BLER
of less than 10 was considered good in 1995) than good modern drives
(which give BLER's of less than 1).

Cheers.

James.

Do tell, how does one check the block error rate of a CD? Software to
do this?

Old September 2nd 03, 10:17 PM
Den

"default" wrote in message ...

Do tell, how does one check the block error rate of a CD? Software to
do this?

There is an awful lot of info on the net, like this one;
http://www.cdpage.com/dstuff/BobDana296.html#1

This is mentioned in article though I have not tried it.
http://www.prolor.dk/download.php

Den

Old September 3rd 03, 01:30 PM
James Perrett

Den wrote:

"default" wrote in message ...

Do tell, how does one check the block error rate of a CD? Software to
do this?

There is an awful lot of info on the net, like this one;
http://www.cdpage.com/dstuff/BobDana296.html#1

This is mentioned in article though I have not tried it.
http://www.prolor.dk/download.php

Den

While the software mentioned in these links will check for high level
errors, I was talking about lower level errors which can only be checked
using hardware that can report them. Fortunately this hardware has
decreased in cost rapidly over the last year. I used a Plextor Premium
(http://www.plextor.be/English/products/premium.html) drive with the
supplied Plextools software to check my error rates.

Cheers.

James.
Old September 3rd 03, 03:00 PM
default

While the software mentioned in these links will check for high level
errors, I was talking about lower level errors which can only be checked
using hardware that can report them. Fortunately this hardware has
decreased in cost rapidly over the last year. I used a Plextor Premium
(http://www.plextor.be/English/products/premium.html) drive with the
supplied Plextools software to check my error rates.

Cheers.

James.

Thanks. Plextor was a little out of what I was willing to spend, last
time I checked. But you did give me more ideas for search terms - I
have a couple of Lite On drives.

Regards

Old September 5th 03, 02:20 PM
James Perrett

default wrote:

While the software mentioned in these links will check for high level
errors, I was talking about lower level errors which can only be checked
using hardware that can report them. Fortunately this hardware has
decreased in cost rapidly over the last year. I used a Plextor Premium
(http://www.plextor.be/English/products/premium.html) drive with the
supplied Plextools software to check my error rates.

Cheers.

James.

Thanks. Plextor was a little out of what I was willing to spend, last
time I checked. But you did give me more ideas for search terms - I
have a couple of Lite On drives.

There are low level error checking utilities for many of the LiteOn
drives - check the various CD-R websites.

Cheers.

James.
Old October 17th 03, 10:02 AM

I notice I can no longer read data off of some of my CDR's. Mitsui's,
Memorex's and some other brands. They're about 5 years old now.

I was wondering. DVDR's are made with the data layer sandwiched
between 2 layers of polycarbonate while CDR's are stored on top of 1
layer of polycarbonate. Would sandwiching between layers of plastic
make it last longer? Why don't they make CD's like this?

Old October 17th 03, 03:45 PM
Rick Pali

wrote

Would sandwiching between layers of plastic
make it last longer?

Perhaps if physical damamge were a large factor the polycoarbonate sandwich
would help. If the discs were mishandled and subjected to a lot of flexing,
I can see the DVDs suffering more. Like most other things, it depends.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old October 18th 03, 01:40 AM