problem with optical mouse

Old November 16th 03, 10:44 AM
Bryan Henderson

Default problem with optical mouse

yesterday my Genius optical mouse stopped working. I presumed the computer
had frozen but when I switched on this morning it said no mouse was
attached, my old Microsoft mouse however works fine. So are optical mice
more prone to fail than ball mice? It is only about a year old. Recently a
friend of mine had an optical mouse fail which was only 4 months old.

Old November 16th 03, 11:19 AM
Bryan Henderson

"Bryan Henderson" wrote in message
yesterday my Genius optical mouse stopped working. I presumed the computer
had frozen but when I switched on this morning it said no mouse was
attached, my old Microsoft mouse however works fine. So are optical mice
more prone to fail than ball mice? It is only about a year old. Recently a
friend of mine had an optical mouse fail which was only 4 months old.

well I opened it up checked the cable etc and tried it again and it works
fine now. BTW not much inside one of these mice!!

Old November 16th 03, 11:22 AM
kony

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:44:49 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
wrote:

yesterday my Genius optical mouse stopped working. I presumed the computer
had frozen but when I switched on this morning it said no mouse was
attached, my old Microsoft mouse however works fine. So are optical mice
more prone to fail than ball mice? It is only about a year old. Recently a
friend of mine had an optical mouse fail which was only 4 months old.

They aren't particularly failure-prone, but the cord is just as frail
as ever, would be the most likely problem.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you might try opening the mouse
and bending the cord around the opposite direction, a little further
in, or cut the cord a few inches shorter and solder it back on...
usually the cord goes where it bends the most, near where it enters
the mouse casing. On the other hand the lower resolution optical mice
are pretty cheap these days.

Dave

optical ps2/serial mouse Jan Biel General 0 September 26th 03 03:16 PM
Please help with mouse problem. ShambhalaPottery General 2 August 18th 03 02:55 AM
Wireless Keyboards and Mice? Thomas M General 6 August 6th 03 09:41 PM
optical mouse kony General 0 July 13th 03 07:05 PM
Mouse doesn't move byteryder General 3 July 5th 03 11:54 PM