New social-media notebook / laptop recommendation sought

Old February 24th 17, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default New social-media notebook / laptop recommendation sought

I want to buy a laptop for YouTube and Skype and Social Media purposes, lightweight, for my girlfriend (who is into that stuff big time**), and I want it relatively top-of-the-line, willing to pay USD 1000 for it, what to buy?

Lightweight and from a reputable dealer*, since I believe hardware has to be integrated. I don't want to buy from the local national PC chain store in the area (I'm posting from Washington DC at the moment). I'm even willing to consider Apple corporation (for the first time ever). Any suggestions appreciated.

* i.e., "Sony", "HP", "Lenovo", "Apple" is what I mean.

** I think she would enjoy a 'touch screen' too.
Old February 24th 17, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

RayLopez99 wrote:
I want to buy a laptop for YouTube and Skype and Social Media purposes, lightweight, for my girlfriend (who is into that stuff big time**), and I want it relatively top-of-the-line, willing to pay USD 1000 for it, what to buy?

Lightweight and from a reputable dealer*, since I believe hardware has to be integrated. I don't want to buy from the local national PC chain store in the area (I'm posting from Washington DC at the moment). I'm even willing to consider Apple corporation (for the first time ever). Any suggestions appreciated.

* i.e., "Sony", "HP", "Lenovo", "Apple" is what I mean.

** I think she would enjoy a 'touch screen' too.

A thousand would buy you a Surface Pro 4, the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Pro_4

Intel Core i5-6300U 128GB storage

5-megapixel front shooter for selfies
8-megapixel primary camera on the rear

That would have a high res screen. Don't know what the
camera resolution is like. The camera is RightSense, and
can be used for biometric login.

The thin and light designs tend to come apart, so the
screen can run in "tablet mode" without the keyboard.

Acer Switch Alpha 12" 6100U (2.30 GHz) 4 GB Memory 128 GB SSD $570
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834315481

2MP HD front-facing camera \___ Might make sense in tablet mode
5MP rear facing camera /

Some are more conventional, and don't detach. Instead, the hinge
rotates a lot further, but the two halves stay fastened together.
This one still has touch.

HP Pavilion x360 15" 6200U 1TB HDD $600
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834267185

The good screens are "IPS". The ones with viewing angle
limits are "TN" or twisted nematic. If paying for a more
expensive one, you would hope for an IPS quality screen.

I cannot vouch for the software side, as to what the
"most social network friendly" platform is. Not a clue.
For example, Skype is a mixed bag, and has had its
good days and bad days. And some of your other wants,
are coming through a web browser.

The cameras on SmartPhones, will likely out-do when it
comes to imaging. As the manufacturer seeks to replace
point and shoot digital cameras with their product. On a
laptop or tablet, the camera is more of a novelty item,
than an actual usable camera device.

Paul
Old February 25th 17, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 10:51:52 -0800 (PST), RayLopez99
wrote:

I want to buy a laptop for YouTube and Skype and Social Media
purposes, lightweight, for my girlfriend (who is into that stuff big
time**), and I want it relatively top-of-the-line, willing to pay USD
1000 for it, what to buy?

Lightweight and from a reputable dealer*, since I believe hardware has
to be integrated. I don't want to buy from the local national PC
chain store in the area (I'm posting from Washington DC at the
moment). I'm even willing to consider Apple corporation (for the
first time ever). Any suggestions appreciated.

* i.e., "Sony", "HP", "Lenovo", "Apple" is what I mean.

** I think she would enjoy a 'touch screen' too.

Big time. Social media. Perfect sense, 4sure. A laptop is probably
way, like, overkill. At what you're looking at for what she's doing.

Sure, Apple's up there -- but they're also about smart phones. Well,
past that for the "who can resist" marketing demographics of younger
people, on a whole, whom comprise the greatest significance of profits
garnished from impulse buying in capital marketing systems. Tablets,
in other words, that aren't just smart phones, but a hybrid closer to,
if not by degrees less of what a $1000 laptop may be, besides a device
closest to emulating an assembled desktop PC.

Such a tablet will either be adaptable to or already have a factory
customized docking station which features a unified keyboard for
someone to consider, seriously, typing. It will then have both
keyboard and 4sure a touch screen. A quad core, I'd imagine, at that
practical limit. Speeds will be incremental to factoring greater value
at purchase costs. Connectivity can tend to be grouped with
functionality, and more or less standardized. Unlocked, optionally,
to know your carrier specs -- which they do not like: individuality in
a one-sized-plan for profitability for us. Not you. That means an
extra paper-slotted carrier's SIM Kit for activating two accounts --
playing different contacts, unique identities against one another --
for added scintillation when enacting upon Social Media

I do know, 4sure, you've got what's cut out due for you, perhaps no
small endeavor to mind-read her for every possible delight
conceivable. ...For instance, out of price listings of 200 sellers'
advertisements, at a quality of tablets significantly valued at $200
-- there be high likelihood of 2000 models more, to look at, that
exceed $200 to approach $1000, if not beyond.

Not, of course, discounting duplicate models in a most competitive
free market, i.e. lacking frills of the sky's the limit at a boutique
lingerie shop. And, despite what CNET may have to say about the best
10 hybrid tablets, discretionary money can buy, I've never the less my
doubts when it comes to the ticking stuffed in a woman's longings.