MSI KT4V MB and XP3000+ settings

Old January 15th 05, 07:41 PM
Kelly

Default MSI KT4V MB and XP3000+ settings

I just purchased and XP3000+ AMD for my MSI MB. By default it sets the CPU
FSB clock to 133MHz and the CPU Ratio is set auto resulting in only a
processor speed of 1.7 GHz. I tried setting the FSB clock to 150 and Ration
to 14 to get a speed of 2.1 GHz (150x14), which this processor should do.
But won't boot at that setting. What combination of settings should I use
to get the most of my new processor. Also what are the OC options I may
have which this combination, once I get it working at its rated specs? BTW
my RAM clock frequency is running at 333Mhz.

Thanx,
Kelly

Old January 15th 05, 09:31 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:41:33 -0600, Kelly wrote:

I just purchased and XP3000+ AMD for my MSI MB. By default it sets the CPU
FSB clock to 133MHz and the CPU Ratio is set auto resulting in only a
processor speed of 1.7 GHz. I tried setting the FSB clock to 150 and Ration
to 14 to get a speed of 2.1 GHz (150x14), which this processor should do.
But won't boot at that setting. What combination of settings should I use
to get the most of my new processor. Also what are the OC options I may
have which this combination, once I get it working at its rated specs? BTW
my RAM clock frequency is running at 333Mhz.

You need to set the FSB to 166MHz. That's the required default FSB speed
for the 3000+ /333 model. The multiplier is locked at 13. Changing it in
the bios or jumpers won't change that so forget it. The only way to
overclock it is to raise the FSB. Setting the FSB to 150 also raised your
memory bus speed and the PCI/AGP buses, which is probably why it wouldn't
boot. If you have PCI bus settings in the bios (some change auto), it
should be set to 5:2:1 for a 166MHz fsb. Don't know what you have in your
bios, but those are the basics. If you try overclocking, then you'll need
to raise vcore, and maybe lower the ram bus speed and timings. Raising fsb
from normal settings also changes the other buses, so you may need to
lower the default ram bus to 133MHz if you try and go over a 166MHz FSB
too much.

Old January 15th 05, 10:21 PM
Kelly

I have everything set to Auto and can not get Windows XP to boot above a FSB
setting 163 MHz. When I set the FSB to 166 MHz it goes into a cycle of
starting up Windows then rebooting.

Is there another setting I should change from an Auto setting. My MB has
AMIBIOS v3.31a.

Thanx,
Kelly

newsan.2005.01.15.21.31.20.999028@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old January 16th 05, 12:59 AM
Christo

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

i have an MSI board KT6v

i read on a BIOS update page that XP3000+ processors were added, maybe there
is a problem with the BIOS letting you use the XP3000+ properly

you kbow what im going to say, try updating the BIOS, its horrible and if it
goes wrong your screwed, but it well solve your problem, also you might try
a progeam called fuzzy logic, it lets you OC in windows, or try Core Center,
these programs allow you to change the FSB in windows, it isnt as stable as
in BIOS but works

what RAM are you using with the 3000+? ram can be a factor, if you use 133
(266) ram then maybe the ram cant overclock enough to get into sync with the
processor of 166 (333)

BIOS update is probably the first option i would take, providing it goes
well you should be able to get fsb to 166

i am currently using a 2600+ with an FSB of 195 mhz with 333 ram it is
running at 3200+ speeds, you should easily be able to get your 3000+ passed
2.1 ghz no problem at all.

good luck if you decide to update BIOS, with any luck it wont feck up

Old January 16th 05, 04:48 AM
Kelly

I'm using PC2700/DDR333 and have tried FuzzyLogic and it tops out at 162.9.
I have the most recent BIOs, as I updated it a couple of weeks ago. The MSI
live update also confirms it as the latest. So go figure, I would also
think I could at least get to the 166 and then some! Could it be a bad CPU?
It ID's itself as XP3000+.

???

Old January 16th 05, 09:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:21:28 -0600, Kelly wrote:

I have everything set to Auto and can not get Windows XP to boot above a FSB
setting 163 MHz. When I set the FSB to 166 MHz it goes into a cycle of
starting up Windows then rebooting.

Then don't boot to windows. Create a memtest boot cd or floppy and boot to
it and test the memory. Windows may be causing thr problem. Couldn't say
since I don't use it. Your PSU may also be weak. It could be the ram. Did
you manully lower the ram bus and settings as I suggested? Did you set the
PCI divider to 5:2:1 or however your bios does it? Don't try any of the
in between FSB settings. it may be screwing up the other buses. Use either
166 or 167. Some boards don't like 166.

Is there another setting I should change from an Auto setting. My MB
has AMIBIOS v3.31a.

If you have an auto setting for the 3000+ use it. it should set everything
to the proper settings. Might try raising the ram voltage by .1v if you
have ram problems.

Did you try a repair installation of Win XP? I hear that's needed some
time for board or cpu changes.