I built a PC for just £67! ($100)

Old August 10th 03, 09:57 AM
Jonathan Eales

Default I built a PC for just £67! ($100)

And it works!

I can use it for:
- playing music whilst I work
- download from the Internet
- test those shareware programs that you don't trust on your main system
- practise loading and fixing operating systems
- testing other components

OK so I cheated a little, as I only ordered:
- a new case with 300W power supply
- ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard with integrated sound.
- heatsink and fan
- CD-ROM
- floppy drive
- keyboard
- mouse
- case fan

I already had in my spares cupboard:
- Duron 800MHz CPU (upgraded from 2 years ago)
- 2.1GB ATA33 hard disk (from an original Pentium system)
- 256MB DDR memory (bought a couple of months ago, suspect as faulty, bought
at £16, I couldn't be bothered to RMA it)
- Matrox Millenium 8MB AGP graphics card (at least 6 years old)
- 15" CRT with slightly wonky display

I loaded an old version of Windows 98 that I'd upgraded from a while ago and
the latest Linux Red Hat 9.

And an extra £5 network card which I added when it worked so that I could
attach it to my home LAN. I misread the motherboard specification and
thought that it can with integrated network as well.

It is not the best computer I've ever built, certainly not the fastest,
quietest or most stable. It reboots itself every couple of days; I still
suspect that memory. But it works and is useful. All for £67+£5 with
packing and postage and tax included.

So here's the challenge people. How low can you go? Build a computer as
cheap as you can, that you'd be able to give your Granny to try the
Internet. Use those old components that sit in the back of your spares
cupboard or the bottom of your bits box.

We want to hear your success stories. It will make a change from all the
problems that we give advice on.

Go for it.
Jonathan