K6-2 Problem Can I take you back in time?

Old January 15th 05, 05:55 PM
Danny

Default K6-2 Problem Can I take you back in time?

Hi, a little off topic but I'm hoping somebody can give me some
advice. With you overclockers tweaking these over the years you're
probably the best people to ask was my thought!
I've just brought my old PC back from the dead. It had win98 installed
along with some old programs and doc files that I didn't want to wipe.
So I took a chance and just installed a S/H Jetway 531CF mobo that
came with a K6-2 500 3D. I pulled the old mobo out, fitted the Jetway
one, booted up, and apart from a few minor problems with some drivers,
my old system is back up and running!
The BIOS was the same just a later version (AWARD 4.51). Now, nearly
all is well and I can back up some of the files and programs that I
wanted off this system. But now it's working again I may as well get
it working properly and smoothly and keep it just in case as a spare!
So I've just couple of minor issues to do with the K6-2.

On boot-up when I go into the BIOS it's showing the old CPUID which is
Cyrex 6X86. Although when first installed it did show the K6-2 and the
relevant settings. On the memory test at boot-up it shows as the K6 as
well as in windows sys/info it shows also shows as K6-2. It's just in
the BIOS CPUID that the K6 and its settings seem to have got lost!
Any ideas on a solution?
It does seem to run a little slower than I would have expected in
windows, about the same as the old Cyrex did, although the test I've
done in DOS show good results from the K6-2. So I'm hoping that
finding the solution to this will help me to fix that.

Apart from that the only other problem is that the system seems to
scrub/corrupt the autoexec.bat on start-up which may or may not be
related.
I've not done as yet a full reinstall of windows as the CD may have
been used as a coaster too many times over the past few years and I
remember, because of scratches, some of the cabs are corrupt!
So I'm hoping to sort out these few problems with out having to do any
sort of reinstall of windows if possible!

Anyway, big thanks if you can help me with this or direct me to a
forum, newsgroup or web-site where I may find some info.

Danny

Old January 15th 05, 08:15 PM
Frank_v7.0

Danny wrote:
[...]

IIRC there was an update patch that you had to install for AMD CPU's to
function correctly running WIN95. Maybe this also applied to WIN98? I
think it was fixed by WIN98SE. Also you could go to the board
manufacturer's web site (or just Google) and check for bios updates.

--
FRH
Old January 16th 05, 02:05 AM
Michael Brown

Danny wrote:
[...]
On boot-up when I go into the BIOS it's showing the old CPUID which is
Cyrex 6X86. Although when first installed it did show the K6-2 and the
relevant settings. On the memory test at boot-up it shows as the K6 as
well as in windows sys/info it shows also shows as K6-2. It's just in
the BIOS CPUID that the K6 and its settings seem to have got lost!
Any ideas on a solution?

I don't think it matters too much if it shows the wrong name in the BIOS
setup screen (as long as it displays the correct name during POST), but you
could always try wiping the CMOS or updating the BIOS.

It does seem to run a little slower than I would have expected in
windows, about the same as the old Cyrex did, although the test I've
done in DOS show good results from the K6-2. So I'm hoping that
finding the solution to this will help me to fix that.

I had/have a K6-2/400 on a Jetway 530BF, which is based on the same chipset.
One thing you'll want to do (if you haven't already done it) is grab the SiS
IDE driver from the Jetway site:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/downl...ndex-2.htm#530
Otherwise the drives run in PIO mode (=slows down the whole system big
time).

You may also want to check out this page:
http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q39...wto/cache.html
with regard to whether you've got too much RAM in your system or not.

[...]
I've not done as yet a full reinstall of windows as the CD may have
been used as a coaster too many times over the past few years and I
remember, because of scratches, some of the cabs are corrupt!

I'm sure there's a few sites on the web with *cough* backups of the Win98
CABs if you need them

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old January 17th 05, 11:03 AM
Dave

"Danny" wrote in message
[...]

Change multiplier to 5.0 and FSB to 100, if you have PC100/PC133 RAM. There
should be charts printed on the MB somewhere. Check your CPU voltage, I
think it should be 2.1V standard,

Apart from that the only other problem is that the system seems to
scrub/corrupt the autoexec.bat on start-up which may or may not be
related.
I've not done as yet a full reinstall of windows as the CD may have
been used as a coaster too many times over the past few years and I
remember, because of scratches, some of the cabs are corrupt!
So I'm hoping to sort out these few problems with out having to do any
sort of reinstall of windows if possible!

Anyway, big thanks if you can help me with this or direct me to a
forum, newsgroup or web-site where I may find some info.

Dave

OC settings advice from the experts baj2k Overclocking 4 February 10th 05 02:43 AM
Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
Very odd problem, for savy pc owners only Destroy AMD x86-64 Processors 27 July 5th 04 07:51 PM
Problem with XP 1700 @ XP 2400 - Documented Nick Le Lievre Overclocking AMD Processors 8 November 30th 03 02:53 AM
Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM