CD-DVD problem

Old September 4th 10, 04:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peter

Default CD-DVD problem

I running windows 7 and have a TSST CDDVDW SN-S083B ATA Device.
Suddenly it won't read blank CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD+RW, however it
will continue to play standard audio CD. Bit puzzled, if it were a
hardware problem surely it wouldn't read any disks. Any ideas?

Peter
Old September 4th 10, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 9/4/2010 10:54 AM, peter wrote:
I running windows 7 and have a TSST CDDVDW SN-S083B ATA Device.
Suddenly it won't read blank CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD+RW, however it
will continue to play standard audio CD. Bit puzzled, if it were a
hardware problem surely it wouldn't read any disks. Any ideas?

I have certainly had drives fail in a way that prevents them from
reading one type of media, but not another. I don't think I've ever
seen a drive that just fails to read rewritable discs, but I guess it's
possible.

You can effectively rule out a software problem by booting up a Linux
Live CD and see if it can read those formats. In fact, if you were to
put that bootable live cd on a CD-RW, just getting it to boot would be
strong evidence that there's nothing wrong with the drive itself.

If it does appear that it's just something about your windows install, I
would first check for optical drive filters. They can sometimes produce
odd results. Here's an article that specifically applies to Vista, but
I suspect it's much the same on Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Old September 4th 10, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"peter" wrote in message
I running windows 7 and have a TSST CDDVDW SN-S083B ATA Device.
Suddenly it won't read blank CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD+RW, however it
will continue to play standard audio CD. Bit puzzled, if it were a
hardware problem surely it wouldn't read any disks. Any ideas?

What is there to read on a blank CD/DVD? (If I try to read a blank disk - I
get the "this disk is not formatted" message)
Have you tried burning something to disk?

Old September 5th 10, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peter

On 4 Sep, 19:24, "123Jim" wrote:
"peter" wrote in message

I running windows 7 and have a TSST CDDVDW SN-S083B ATA Device.
Suddenly it won't read blank CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD+RW, however it
will continue to play standard audio CD. Bit puzzled, if it were a
hardware problem surely it wouldn't read any disks. Any ideas?

What is there to read on a blank CD/DVD? (If I try to read a blank disk - I
get the "this disk is not formatted" message)
Have you tried burning something to disk?

It doesn't 'read' that there is a blank disk, or rather it doesn't
acknowledge that there is a disk. I can't burn something to it as any
number of software packages ask me to insert a disk.
Old September 5th 10, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"peter" wrote in message
On 4 Sep, 19:24, "123Jim" wrote:
"peter" wrote in message

I running windows 7 and have a TSST CDDVDW SN-S083B ATA Device.
Suddenly it won't read blank CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD+RW, however it
will continue to play standard audio CD. Bit puzzled, if it were a
hardware problem surely it wouldn't read any disks. Any ideas?

What is there to read on a blank CD/DVD? (If I try to read a blank disk -
get the "this disk is not formatted" message)
Have you tried burning something to disk?

It doesn't 'read' that there is a blank disk, or rather it doesn't
acknowledge that there is a disk. I can't burn something to it as any
number of software packages ask me to insert a disk.

OK .. . but before reaching for the sledge hammer I'd search for driver
update.. .. if initial searching fails try http://www.drivereasy.com/

Old September 10th 10, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Charles_Schilli[_5_]

This rings a vague bell, I think the "RW" types need a stronger laser.
Give the drive a cleaning in case some dust or a finger print got in
there? Remove and replace the cable in case of tarnish or it loosened?

Old September 12th 10, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tim

On Sep 10, 4:52*pm, Charles_Schilli Charles_Schilli.
wrote:
This rings a vague bell, I think the "RW" types need a stronger laser.
Give the drive a cleaning in case some dust or a finger print got in
there? Remove and replace the cable in case of tarnish or it loosened?

It could very well be true that the RW requires stronger laser power,
which might be dampened due to some dust particles on the laser lens
in the optical drive.

I recently had my DVD and CD burner stop being able to burn DVDs, but
could still burn CDs. I suspected some small dust particles might
have been obscuring the stronger, or finer, laser focusing necessary
to burn DVDs as opposed to CDs. After opening up the optical drive
and blotting the lens with a moist, microfiber cloth, this restored my
ability to burn DVDs.

So, cleaning your optical drive lens might solve the problem.