Cannot Use Laptop Computer On My Lap?!?!

Old December 24th 03, 09:47 PM
Richard Kaplan

Default Cannot Use Laptop Computer On My Lap?!?!

I called Compaq technical service today regarding a recurring problem
with the A/C adapter connection on my Presario 2100. I spoke with a
manager since this is a recurring problem, and he concluded that my
problem is that I am using the computer on my lap, which "obviously"
is inappropriate due to heating concerns.

He says this is not a "laptop" but rather a "notebook" computer.

Never mind that the Compaq site says the computer can be used
"anywhere" and never mind that nowhere in the documentation does it
say "do not use this laptop computer on your lap."

Am I losing my mind here?
Old December 24th 03, 11:36 PM
Kevin Childers

Were this 6 days later I would surmise some one was celebrating early.
As it is not I'd venture to say that manager must be a bit confuse. A
laptop setting on a table with a table cloth or on a bed would have the same
problems. Your lap should be no more a hindrance to it's proper operation
than anywhere else.

KC

om...

Old December 25th 03, 02:06 AM
DEJ57

Your lap should be no more a hindrance to it's proper operation
than anywhere else.

I don't know. Some laps just may be hotter than others. I can think of a few
that might be...... [;}

Seriously, your body heat would add a certain amount to the operation heat.
But I'd expect a laptop/portable to be operative on your lap.

Dale
Old December 25th 03, 05:57 AM
Skier

"DEJ57" wrote in message
Your lap should be no more a hindrance to it's proper operation
than anywhere else.

I don't know. Some laps just may be hotter than others. I can think of a

few
that might be...... [;}

Seriously, your body heat would add a certain amount to the operation

heat.
But I'd expect a laptop/portable to be operative on your lap.

Dale

As long as you don't block the cooling vents on the bottom or sides, you
should have not problem. Setting the notebook on something soft like a
pillow is a bad idea. Setting it on a soft table cloth on the table is
probably also a bad idea. These new notebooks get very hot. It wouldn't
take very long to get it too hot. You would probably overheat the system.
You can buy a nice lap desk with a hard cover and a pillow bottom. I bought
one for my wife at Bed Bath and Beyond. A little high $45 but it has a
tiltable top and little side drawers for you pens etc. Pretty nice.

Tom