Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown

Old January 3rd 05, 10:06 PM
Bill Barker

Default Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown

Please help!

I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
my original
message pop up, so I'm trying again.

I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
this CPU.
It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.

It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
When I shutdown, it either:
1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
2) reboots.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Barker
Old January 4th 05, 01:38 PM
Alceryes

Check for spyware/viruses. It also could be one of your sticks of RAM going
flaky.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"

- Alceryes

Old January 4th 05, 02:10 PM
Mike Walsh

Win98SE is known to have this problem on some PCs. Microsoft blames it on video drivers. I have seen PCs that did not have this problem until upgrading from original Win98 to Win98SE.

Bill Barker wrote:

It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
When I shutdown, it either:
1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
2) reboots.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old January 4th 05, 06:06 PM
Buccaneer

"Bill Barker" wrote in message
Please help!

I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
my original
message pop up, so I'm trying again.

I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
this CPU.
It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.

It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
When I shutdown, it either:
1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
2) reboots.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Barker

Bill

Microsoft produced Shutdown Patch for Win98se. If you need a copy email me
at
keith dot willcocks at btinternet dot com with your email address and I will
send you a copy, or you might find it on the MS downloads site. I also
found that Nero's INCD package caused shutdown problems. That was only
resolved by removing it.

Keith

Old January 4th 05, 07:22 PM
kony

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc.../shutdown.mspx
Old January 4th 05, 08:07 PM
Zdenek Sojka

Win98 doesnot support more than 512MB RAM.
Even with 384MB you should get some problems.
Use some utils (eg. Cacheman) to improve vcache handling and do a 512MB
limit with that program.

There are many reasons and many patches from MS to fix problems with
shutdown or restart, but usually, it doesnt help.

Have a nice day
Zdenek Sojka

"Bill Barker" píse v diskusním príspevku

Old January 5th 05, 01:32 AM
kony

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:07:33 +0100, "Zdenek Sojka"
wrote:

Win98 doesnot support more than 512MB RAM.
Even with 384MB you should get some problems.
Use some utils (eg. Cacheman) to improve vcache handling and do a 512MB
limit with that program.

There are many reasons and many patches from MS to fix problems with
shutdown or restart, but usually, it doesnt help.

No, usually they do. I've rebuild TONS of old systems that
ran Win9x, including 98SE, and they all end up shutting down
fine. Usually (though not necessarily) the problem is an
app or a driver. Someone using such a buggy app or driver
on NT would've had problems too, perhaps not as severe but
there nonetheless. Often it's NOT Win98 that makes people
hate win98, it's simply the old sofware and drivers.
Updating those to XP era/generation code and suddenly win98
doesn't seem so troublesome anymore.

There is still a 1-1.5GB memory limit on Win9x though, but
Cacheman or (whatever, including manually editing vcache
entry in system.ini file) will fix that easily enough. It's
relatively easy to do one might want to just Google for it
instead of
searching/downloading/installing/running/uninstalling
software to do so. Further, many cache-setting programs
deceive users into thinking a smaller cache (or at least
lower limit) is a good thing, that it leaves more memory
available for programs. That is untrue, Windows can and
does flush the cache, a very low value simply causes more
HDD access.... but the upper limit is still the same, system
memory + AGP video memory must be = 524288. Some
mistakenly only account for the system memory.

For example, if one's video card has 128MB onboard, the
vcache entry should be no larger than:

(512 - 128) * 1024 = 393216

Need upgrade info on older Gateway mobo John Barrington General 6 August 30th 04 06:48 PM
Mobo problems Lews-Therin General 3 April 26th 04 01:32 AM
Weird Mobo Problem... Grativo General 7 April 17th 04 07:17 PM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 09:30 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM