Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adaptor not recognised in Bios

Old August 9th 03, 11:49 PM
cdbg

Default Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adaptor not recognised in Bios

I have an 80 gb ATA/133 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 with 8 mb cache. I
have a PCI adaptor but the A03 bios in my dell 8200 does not seem to
be able to recognise the drive attatched to the pci adaptor as a boot
drive.
Any ideas on how to get the dell 8200 to use the pci adapted 133 hd as
the C: boot drive??
Old August 10th 03, 01:59 AM
Myron

cdbg wrote:
I have an 80 gb ATA/133 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 with 8 mb cache. I
have a PCI adaptor but the A03 bios in my dell 8200 does not seem to
be able to recognise the drive attatched to the pci adaptor as a boot
drive.
Any ideas on how to get the dell 8200 to use the pci adapted 133 hd as
the C: boot drive??

Does the PCI adapter have it's own BIOS? If so, enable it. I nothing
is on the mobo's IDE ports, set all the drives settings to `None`.

The Mobo's BIOS will not know about any additional PCI IDE
controllers. Only what's on the Mobo. Well, that's the general rule.
Old August 10th 03, 04:44 PM
Mike Walsh

The PCI adapter should appear as a SCSI adapter. If the drive does not appear in a list of bootable drives you must select boot from SCSI, or it might appear as "other" or "add-in device".

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 11th 03, 02:39 AM
cdbg

I don't think the bios in this dell 8200 has a choice of boot from
scsi. It is only cd,diskette, or pirmary drive.

Old August 13th 03, 02:27 PM
cdbg

I did load the latest bios
A09 from dull. That alone did not do it though. Still no "Boot from
SCSI" selection available. The MaxBlast 3 drive overlay bull**** was
screwing with the system.
I ended up formatting the HD. The virus that maxtor provides called
MaxBlast 3 managed to BLAST the master boot record right off of my HD.
Anyway, after repartioning and formatting my new HD I loaded XP and
at the very beginning of the load it asked for any SCSI drivers. I
loaded the driver for the PCI ATA/133 adaptor. Before starting the
new software load I connected both of my drives , an ATA/100 40 gb
maxtor and a Ultra ATA 80gb maxtor 9Plus to the PCI Ultra ATA
adaptor. In the Bios I turned OFF both primary drives.
Now the system boots just fine from the drive on the adaptor.
The data transfer rate is much better of course.
Needless to say I did not use the MaxBlast 3 when I started over. If
you get one of these Maxtors and you are able to successfully use
MaxBlast 3, good for you. But I would highly recommend backing up all
your data on another drive or other media before starting. Best thing
to do is to toss the Maxblast3 CD in the nearest trash can and get
your system working using normal pathways. The Maxblast is intended
to give inexperienced users a quick and easy setup, if it does'nt wipe
out your MBR in the process !!
Old August 13th 03, 02:38 PM
cdbg

I did load the latest bios
A09 from dell. That alone did not do it though. Still no "Boot from
Old August 13th 03, 02:39 PM
cdbg

I ment to post this at a follow up to the my difficulty in getting the
dell 8200 to boot from a pci scsi controller.