New OS Install Question

Old January 30th 04, 03:36 PM
AE1M

Default New OS Install Question

I purchased a used Lattitude on eBay with Win2K. I would like to
install XP. Can I install a retail XP Pro on this OK? Will XP Pro
have all the necessary internally required drivers?

Thanks,
Bob
Old January 30th 04, 04:52 PM
BigJim

probably not but you should be able to download them from Dell for XP
you will need the video, modem, sound, lan.
s.com...

Old January 30th 04, 05:07 PM
Ogden Johnson III

AE1M wrote:

I purchased a used Lattitude on eBay with Win2K.

Did the seller include all Dell provided disks and manuals?

I would like to
install XP. Can I install a retail XP Pro on this OK?

Yes. Before you do the actual install, XP Pro will ask you if
you want it to check your machine/programs for compatibility.
Let it do so. It can identify potential problem areas. If you
have a high speed internet connection, the program can be
downloaded from the MS XP web site. [High speed since the
compatibility program is 50MB+, a rather long download on a 56K
dial-up.]

Will XP Pro have all the necessary internally required drivers?

It should have commercial versions of drivers for most widely
available h/w elements. However, Dell may have tweaked the
driver for one or more items included in the Latitude - which is
why your best bet would have been to make sure that the Dell
disks and manuals were included with the sale. Absent those, you
can seek them out on the Dell site, but may have trouble if you
and the seller didn't arrange for the transfer in ownership to be
registered with Dell. [Unknown territory here, I've never bought
a second-hand Dell.] You can also go to the individual item's
vendors site to seek drivers if you have a problem with one thing
or another.

Don't let anything I've said stop you though. In the event, I've
never had a problem in doing a clean install of XPPro on any Dell
that I, or the company I work for, own.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old January 30th 04, 05:34 PM
Christopher Muto

there are many machines that bear the 'lattitude' name. what model do you
have?
i would not install xp unless you have at very least 128mb of ram and 10gb
of hard disk space. and if your machine meets these requirements then i
suggest you upgrade the bios to the latetest available version before

Old January 31st 04, 03:00 AM
Bob

Yes, he did. But they are Win2K like I said.

I want to install XP Pro

I do have cable internet 3Mb/sec, but I think I'd need the OS
installed before I could access the Dell site over the internet for
the drivers eh? Chicken and the egg.

Bob

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

AE1M wrote:

[...]

** PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT use your REPLY **
** button to reply to this message. **
** **
** REPLIES-- **
** Remove the XXX **
** **

installing xp. you can find the bios update at support.dell.com

"AE1M" wrote in message
ws.com...
I purchased a used Lattitude on eBay with Win2K. I would like to
install XP. Can I install a retail XP Pro on this OK? Will XP Pro
have all the necessary internally required drivers?

Thanks,
Bob

Many of the Win 2K drivers work very well with Win XP.
The Compatibility check is a very good first step. It should
be on the Win XP disk and a menu item at startup.

Jack Mac

Old January 31st 04, 02:20 PM
CL

A retail version of XP WILL install/upgrade fine - 99 percent of the
drivers - maybe even all will upgrade fine - as a precaution - PRIOR to
upgrade, download the NIC drivers from Dell for XP and the correct model -
then if NIC drivers do not upgrade, then load the ones you pre-downloaded -
go to dell site for rest of drivers it does not upgrade

This has worked with old ISPIRON system as well as lattitude

s.com...

Old January 31st 04, 05:21 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Bob wrote:

Yes, he did. But they are Win2K like I said.

Saw that, but didn't know if you got the disks for a /reinstall/.

I want to install XP Pro

I do have cable internet 3Mb/sec, but I think I'd need the OS
installed before I could access the Dell site over the internet for
the drivers eh? Chicken and the egg.

Not so bad. As I said, IME, the XPPro installed drivers will get
your machine running. They might not accomplish all the fancier
bells and whistles of the tailored Dell/mfgr audio and/or video
drivers, but you'll be up enough to call home to Dell/the mfgrs
to get the drivers you find you need.