Scanner connection in WinXP?

Old May 30th 04, 06:16 AM
BobK

Default Scanner connection in WinXP?

Hello Everyone,

I have an older UMAX Vistascan 1220U USB Scanner that ran fine on Win98 but
I upgraded to WinXP Pro.

I purchased the WinXP update from UMAX for the 1220U and installed the
software / driver.

When I go to TEST the scanner, I continue to get a Scanner Access Fail /
and interface cards.

I suppose WinXP can not find the scanner. Device Manager shows all is well
but does show Unknown Device for the scanner USB connection. I have rebooted
several times. I tried Start/Accessories/Scanners and Cameras.
My model is not in the wizard and when I tell it to go to the cdrom to get
the information it says that my hardware is not detected. And this is with
the UMAX cdrom.

In fact, the wizard only has one UMAX product listed that is not mine and it
automatically
selects it when you say you have the driver.

Does anyone know what I might try to get this thing working?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

Old May 30th 04, 11:27 AM
pen

"BobK" rk1@usernomics[no spam].com wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

I have an older UMAX Vistascan 1220U USB Scanner that ran fine on Win98

but
I upgraded to WinXP Pro.

I purchased the WinXP update from UMAX for the 1220U and installed the
software / driver.

When I go to TEST the scanner, I continue to get a Scanner Access Fail /

connections
and interface cards.

I suppose WinXP can not find the scanner. Device Manager shows all is well
but does show Unknown Device for the scanner USB connection. I have

rebooted
several times. I tried Start/Accessories/Scanners and Cameras.
My model is not in the wizard and when I tell it to go to the cdrom to get
the information it says that my hardware is not detected. And this is with
the UMAX cdrom.

In fact, the wizard only has one UMAX product listed that is not mine and

it
automatically
selects it when you say you have the driver.

Does anyone know what I might try to get this thing working?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

Did you install as described here?
http://www.umax.com/support/knowledg...keywords=1220u
These instructions seem pretty explicit and definetely very unusual.

Old May 30th 04, 02:28 PM
BobK

"pen" wrote in message

[...]

No I didn't Pen. Let me give it another shot. I will post the results.

Thanks Very Much,

Bob

Old May 30th 04, 03:47 PM
BobK

/

[...]

Hello Pen,

It worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the reference. I had given up
on being able to use the scanner and now all is well.

Bob

Old May 30th 04, 05:42 PM
Pen

You're welcome, glad it worked out for you.
They definitely require a unique installation process.

Old May 30th 04, 10:54 PM
BobK

Yes, the installation as well as the user interface for the actual scanner
software is terrible. I do user interface design and I would give them an F
I have never seen anything so unnecessarily odd.

Bob

news