Latest nvidia drivers - no need to uninstall previous drivers?

Old June 19th 05, 04:13 PM
BillL

Default Latest nvidia drivers - no need to uninstall previous drivers?

Hi all,

Evert time I update my GPU drivers I use to uninstall the previous drivers
and use Driver Cleaner Pro. That was until 77.30 and now 77.50 where I've
just installed over the top of the previous drivers. This, as far as I'm
concerned is great, its quicker and I don't have to re-set my desktop
resolution, font size etc once the drivers are installed.

Everything seems to be fine - no problems with the BF2 or FEAR MP demo so no
problems there.

I will still uninstall the drivers if I'm changing graphics cards (just
swapped out a Leadtek 6600GT for a PNY 6800GT) but have nvidia *changed*
their driver package to make uninstalling the previous drivers unnecessary
or is it just anally retentive to do this anyway?

BillL

Old June 19th 05, 06:41 PM
dawg

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all,

Evert time I update my GPU drivers I use to uninstall the previous drivers
and use Driver Cleaner Pro. That was until 77.30 and now 77.50 where I've
just installed over the top of the previous drivers. This, as far as I'm
concerned is great, its quicker and I don't have to re-set my desktop
resolution, font size etc once the drivers are installed.

Everything seems to be fine - no problems with the BF2 or FEAR MP demo so

no
problems there.

I will still uninstall the drivers if I'm changing graphics cards (just
swapped out a Leadtek 6600GT for a PNY 6800GT) but have nvidia *changed*
their driver package to make uninstalling the previous drivers unnecessary
or is it just anally retentive to do this anyway?

BillL

Most times it's fine to just install over the old drivers. I do it most
times.

Old June 19th 05, 07:36 PM
Ed Light

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_...ion_hints.html

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old June 19th 05, 11:35 PM
Larry Roberts

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:13:03 GMT, "BillL"
wrote:

Hi all,

Evert time I update my GPU drivers I use to uninstall the previous drivers
and use Driver Cleaner Pro. That was until 77.30 and now 77.50 where I've
just installed over the top of the previous drivers. This, as far as I'm
concerned is great, its quicker and I don't have to re-set my desktop
resolution, font size etc once the drivers are installed.

Everything seems to be fine - no problems with the BF2 or FEAR MP demo so no
problems there.

I will still uninstall the drivers if I'm changing graphics cards (just
swapped out a Leadtek 6600GT for a PNY 6800GT) but have nvidia *changed*
their driver package to make uninstalling the previous drivers unnecessary
or is it just anally retentive to do this anyway?

BillL

Doing this doesn't affect everything, but usally you will find
some programs not running properly, or not running at all. Doing an
uninstall using Driver Cleaner PE, or another driver remover, and
reinstalling the drivers will fix the problems. If it works for
you....
Old June 20th 05, 07:27 PM

Well BF2 made me update my drivers without giving any warning as to
uninstalling the previous version so I thought heck why not, and
haven't seen any problems either. I think as drivers improve there's
no real need to delete your existing ones entirely

www.computing-elite.com
www.computing-elite.com/forum
Old June 20th 05, 07:58 PM
Ed Light

wrote
Well BF2 made me update my drivers without giving any warning as to
uninstalling the previous version so I thought heck why not, and
haven't seen any problems either. I think as drivers improve there's
no real need to delete your existing ones entirely

There's a link from the nvidia drivers download that says to uninstall the
old drivers in Add and Remove programs before installing the new ones.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old June 21st 05, 07:13 PM
BillL

"Ed Light" wrote in message

wrote
Well BF2 made me update my drivers without giving any warning as to
uninstalling the previous version so I thought heck why not, and
haven't seen any problems either. I think as drivers improve there's
no real need to delete your existing ones entirely

There's a link from the nvidia drivers download that says to uninstall the
old drivers in Add and Remove programs before installing the new ones.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

But why do this if you've just installed the new drivers over the old ones
and experienced no problems *and* been able to keep your original
resolution, font size, colour depth etc? The only thing I've had to do
(which I should have mentioned in my OP) is to run the coolbits registry
tweak again to enable overclocking.

Oh well each to their own I guess, hardly the kind of things wars are fought
over ;o).

Old June 21st 05, 10:05 PM
Ed Light

"BillL" wrote
But why do this if you've just installed the new drivers over the old ones
and experienced no problems *and* been able to keep your original
resolution, font size, colour depth etc? The only thing I've had to do
(which I should have mentioned in my OP) is to run the coolbits registry
tweak again to enable overclocking.

Sometimes luck is with us.

--
Ed Light