Sata Problem on 965P-DS3 ??

Old March 7th 07, 07:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default Sata Problem on 965P-DS3 ??

On 6 Mar, 13:16, " wrote:

I think that i resolve my problem !!!

No...there're still problems ; even if I disable nic on Bios ,
sometimesi my HD is very very slow

see this screenshot...the scanning speed value is 3.6MB/sec ,
extremely sllllloooowww

http://www.codiceaperto.org/mkportal...lbum/a_405.jpg

Old March 7th 07, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
fondue

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Mar, 13:16, " wrote:

I think that i resolve my problem !!!

No...there're still problems ; even if I disable nic on Bios ,
sometimesi my HD is very very slow

see this screenshot...the scanning speed value is 3.6MB/sec ,
extremely sllllloooowww

http://www.codiceaperto.org/mkportal...lbum/a_405.jpg

Actually there could be an issue with samsung HDDs. You might want to go
down that path.

The transfer rate won't be consistent across your HDDs anyway.

Are you certain no other program is running at periodic intervals, Windows
indexing service for example.

Old March 7th 07, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On 7 Mar, 13:18, "fondue" wrote:

Actually there could be an issue with samsung HDDs. You might want to go
down that path.

uhm...could it be ; my supplier ask me to send this HD with mobo if I
use the RMA for check the compatibility

The transfer rate won't be consistent across your HDDs anyway.

it's 10 times (and more) lower than I expect :-(

Are you certain no other program is running at periodic intervals, Windows
indexing service for example.

Yes , i'm certain ; I tried hdtune 5-6 times with Hd connected to
purple port (gigabyte sata" controller instead ICH8) and the result
are *always* the same (~50/60 Mb/s)

Old March 7th 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
fondue

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Mar, 13:18, "fondue" wrote:

Actually there could be an issue with samsung HDDs. You might want to go
down that path.

uhm...could it be ; my supplier ask me to send this HD with mobo if I
use the RMA for check the compatibility

I vaguely recall seeing something like that reported, but didn't look at it
because I don't own samsungs.

The transfer rate won't be consistent across your HDDs anyway.

it's 10 times (and more) lower than I expect :-(

Maybe, but the performance won't be a straight line maxxed out all the way.

Are you certain no other program is running at periodic intervals,
Windows
indexing service for example.

Yes , i'm certain ; I tried hdtune 5-6 times with Hd connected to
purple port (gigabyte sata" controller instead ICH8) and the result
are *always* the same (~50/60 Mb/s)

That's no guarantee, go into Administrative tools, Services and disable the
Indexing Service. It periodically checks the files on your HDD and indexes
them to make searches faster.

Run another test, and when your disk slows down, bring up task manager and
see if there are any processes using a lot of CPU time or memory.

Have you checked the Samsung site for info?

Old March 8th 07, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On 7 Mar, 19:15, "fondue" wrote:

Run another test, and when your disk slows down, bring up task manager and
see if there are any processes using a lot of CPU time or memory.

I'll try it ;-)

Have you checked the Samsung site for info?

Yes I have, but I've seen that samsung utility are are not still
compatible with my HD :-(

very very strange problem :-((((

Thank's a lot for you support Fondue :-) !!!

Old March 9th 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
betty9

I'm confused - so any expert input would be appreciated

I don't use raid but should I use the purple connectors (JMicron) for
normal everyday use. I've read they are faster but in the real world
do they really make any noticeable difference.

I've got 2gb ram - E6600 and two 250gb Samsungs

Old April 30th 07, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
fondue

No experts here, only hacks ;-)

AFAIK all of the SATA connectors are SATA 2 compliant, the purple connectors
support ACHI, which is intels way of implementing Native command queuing,
(NCQ), and hot swappable drives.

NCQ isn't faster on your average desktop, it's really for servers and only
comes into play when you have quite a few requests for disk access. If you
do some research you will see the difference. Any test that shows ACHI being
of any use to your average home user is usually weighted with a bunch of
tasks that you would never do anyway, designed of course to show some
difference.

It's a bit like RAID - everyone sees a graph that is longer and thinks it
will make their whole PC fly, but in reality there are only one or two tasks
that your average home user will gain any benefit from.

So to answer you question, (finally!), you can use the GSATA controller with
any SATA drive, but to use the NCQ functions, your HDD needs to support NCQ,
then you need an ACHI driver, and enable ACHI in the BIOS.

Hook up a drive and run some tests if your curious.

I know this is an old message, but I'm bored

:'-|

ps.com...