Forceware 5x.xx Drivers not for Win9x ?

Old December 13th 03, 03:51 PM
Peter Reaper

Default Forceware 5x.xx Drivers not for Win9x ?

It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?
--

Regards,

Peter Reaper

-=-=-
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little
sign of breaking down in the near future.
-=-=-
Old December 13th 03, 04:22 PM
spirit

Peter Reaper wrote in message
It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?
--

Regards,

Peter Reaper

-=-=-
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little
sign of breaking down in the near future.
-=-=-

http://www.whitebunny.net/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html

Right at the top. I've got them atm, and to be honest, preliminary
benchmarking shows them to be worse than the PNY supplied ones
that came with my 5700 ultra.

Old December 13th 03, 04:43 PM
SloPoke

Peter Reaper wrote:

It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?

Why don't you try the 53.04 Forceware drivers instead?
Old December 13th 03, 06:27 PM
bluestringer

"Peter Reaper" wrote in message
It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?
--

Regards,

Peter Reaper

-=-=-
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little
sign of breaking down in the near future.
-=-=-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_53.04

bluestringer

Old December 13th 03, 08:54 PM
Peter Reaper

spirit said on 13.12.03 17:22:
Peter Reaper wrote in message

It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?

http://www.whitebunny.net/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html

Wow! Thanks for the link. I'm not _so_ concerned about performance right
now, as I'm having problems with stability with my current driver.

PS. Why is this driver not available from the nvidia "drivers" selection
screen? (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)
--

Regards,

Peter Reaper

-=-=-
Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole.
-=-=-
Old December 13th 03, 09:47 PM
Protozoa

spirit said on 13.12.03 17:22:
Peter Reaper wrote in message

It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?

http://www.whitebunny.net/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html

Wow! Thanks for the link. I'm not _so_ concerned about performance right
now, as I'm having problems with stability with my current driver.

PS. Why is this driver not available from the nvidia "drivers" selection
screen? (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

The latest are now avaliable.

Old December 14th 03, 11:44 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 16:51:23 +0100, Peter Reaper
wrote:

It seems the new drivers (forceware 53.03) are only for Win 2k/XP. I
have Windows 98 SE. What gives?

Are people who don't want to upgrade to Microsofts spyware infested OS
left out in the cold?

I agree with you 100%... I too am still on Win98se - be aware of
these facts.

1 - M$ will most likely kill update support for Win98 (I'm not talking
about NEW updates - but also include all the old ones - so download
and save those while you can) You have till JAN 2004.

2 - WinXP has been out for 2 years, develop supprt for NEW products
(KT600 / Nforce2 etc) for Win98 is CRAP! They don't care... so as
long as you STICK with your current hardware (KT333 or older) you are
okay... But a new mobo... forget it! Stability is gone... unusable!

3 - With NEW motherboards (NForce2/ KT600) and CPUs like AMD XP 2500+,
there is about a 25% performance GAIN with WindowsXP over Windows98se.

I've testest this myself on an AMD2200 when I upgraded a clients
failed computer (Dell PIII). The drivers were unstable for 98. But
I benchmarked the machine. I have an AMD2500+ OC to AMD 2800~2900
speed.

3rd place : AMD2200 default clock with Win98
2nd place : AMD2500 @2000mhz with Win98 (200Mhz overclocked)
1st place : AMD2200 default clock with WinXP.

WinXP sucks ass... activation issues, etc... grab a corp version to
get around the Activation - but some of these are black-listed and
will not work correctly.

Linux looks better, don't it?

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!