P4P800 DL: Flashing BIOS error message ?

Old June 24th 03, 07:06 AM
weuntouchable

Default P4P800 DL: Flashing BIOS error message ?

(Paul) wrote in message ...
In article , "John Smith"
wrote:

Yep, I was about to use AFUDOS to upgrade from 1004.4 to 1007 today but then
came online and noticed people having big problems. I have seen no mention
of problems with 1005 but, as the only problem I have is two identical 2100
chips but from different makers not working, I would rather spend the £25
getting a new chip than risk BIOS crash nightmares! Like you, I am waiting.

J.

I find the fact that 1006 has special instructions and 1007 doesn't, a
little troubling. Maybe Asus is assuming a sequential flash, 1006 with
its special procedure, followed by 1007 without any special procedure.
I think the .exe that comes with 1006, is used as a wrapper, that calls
AFUDOS while using a particular set of switches to the program. So, it
is hard to imagine that 1007 could be used with no special instructions,
if you haven't installed 1006.

If Asus was a little more upfront with what they were doing in 1006,
it would be easier for users to tell what the correct flashing order
should be (sequential or any order you want).

Paul

"Maximus" wrote in message
Why using AFUDOS to flash bios, the next reboot always turn into an error
message
about error in checksum ?

After a scary system boot failure, I think I would not flash bios for this
P4P800 DL
until it is clear about what Afudos is doing.

Thanks for any information.

Maximus

I just had similiar issues flashing p4p800 deluxe to 1007 using
Afudos. I lost video and switched cards and it said the bios was
corrupted. I reflashed with the crashfree bios using 1007 and somehow
it took, I put back in the original video card and everything works.
Since I don't like that kind of workaround I don't think I will update
the bios any further unless a serious problem occurs that is fixed by
an update.
Old June 24th 03, 08:53 AM
Gustav Medler

weuntouchable wrote/schrieb:

I just had similiar issues flashing p4p800 deluxe to 1007 using
Afudos. I lost video and switched cards and it said the bios was
corrupted. I reflashed with the crashfree bios using 1007 and somehow
it took, I put back in the original video card and everything works.
Since I don't like that kind of workaround I don't think I will update
the bios any further unless a serious problem occurs that is fixed by
an update.

Same problems while updating to 1007. AFUDOS must _not_ be used with
Bios 1007 (p4p81007.ami from asus international site
http://www.asus.it/support/download/...4P800%20Deluxe ).

But: How to update to version 1007? Version 1006 brings an installer
with it...
--
Best regards/ MfG,
Gustav Medler
Old June 24th 03, 11:54 AM
Maximus

"Gustav Medler" wrote in message
weuntouchable wrote/schrieb:

I just had similiar issues flashing p4p800 deluxe to 1007 using
Afudos. I lost video and switched cards and it said the bios was
corrupted. I reflashed with the crashfree bios using 1007 and somehow
it took, I put back in the original video card and everything works.
Since I don't like that kind of workaround I don't think I will update
the bios any further unless a serious problem occurs that is fixed by
an update.

Same problems while updating to 1007. AFUDOS must _not_ be used with
Bios 1007 (p4p81007.ami from asus international site
http://www.asus.it/support/download/...4P800%20Deluxe ).

But: How to update to version 1007? Version 1006 brings an installer
with it...
--
Best regards/ MfG,
Gustav Medler

I found out that EZ-Flash can be used. DO NOT use Afudos.

First, download new bios, 1007 or the beta version 1008.004 for P4P800.
Then unzip the file into a folppy disk, rename it to P4P800.ROM,
and at boot, press Alt + F2 to use EZ-Flash.

The flash will automatically read the file P4P800.ROM, and flash it.

Then, reboot, press DEL to get into BIOS settings, ( you can see the new
bios
version is on screen now ), load the default settings, save, reboot.

To make sure I do not confuse, each original bios version is in the same
floppy;
i.e., I have the 1007.zip and its file as P4P800.ROM in one floppy;

and in the second floppy disk, the beta 1008.004 is with its unzipped one
with
the name P4P800.ROM; so I can know which is which.

HTMH ( Hope this may help )

Maximus

Old June 24th 03, 01:24 PM
Dolp

dear all

I flashed my bios from 1005 to 1007, by using afudos, before checking the
threads in this newgroup.

Luckily I dun have any trouble in flashing, everything's fine.

A long long time ago I experienced trouble in flashing the Asus K7M
motherboard. The flashing failed and the PC failed to boot. But I noticed
that it would be safer if before flashing:
(a) to load the default bios setting first, dun overclock the PC;
(b) save the flash program & rom file in harddisk.

Then after booting the machine with a bootable disk, change directory to the
harddisk folder with the flash program & rom file, run the flash program.

It appears that I've no trouble since i follow such procedure.

This time for flashing my new P4P800DX (bought becus my K7M MB is out of
order..time to upgrade after almost 4 years), I also followed such
procedures & it works.

I duno whether it actually functions but i dun like going back to the dealer
and wait for a long time for getting my rom back.

"Maximus" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

[...]

Large Hard Drive & BIOS upgrade problems Lago Jardin Overclocking 10 June 13th 04 12:56 AM
Need a good guide for flashing BIOS Jabout Homebuilt PC's 8 December 24th 03 11:14 AM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
BIOS and divce driver & Interrupt handler? Moonlit Homebuilt PC's 1 July 6th 03 11:27 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM