hard drive clicking rather loudly

Old August 6th 04, 11:22 PM
Jenny

Default hard drive clicking rather loudly

It is clicking like something is hitting the case. It did this about a week
ago
and I just turned the system off, bought a new hard drive just in case and
backed up everything. Is it possible that this can be fixed. It is a
western
digital wd400. It is only year and half old. Would spinrite software maybe
help it? Any experience with this out there?
Thanks much,
dancer (Jenny)

---

Old August 6th 04, 11:54 PM
David Maynard

Jenny wrote:

It is clicking like something is hitting the case. It did this about a week
ago
and I just turned the system off, bought a new hard drive just in case and
backed up everything. Is it possible that this can be fixed. It is a
western
digital wd400. It is only year and half old. Would spinrite software maybe
help it? Any experience with this out there?

That sounds like the symptom referred to, descriptively enough, as the
'click of death' and if it follows the pattern of my WD drives the best you
can do is administer pain management; which you've done by buying a
replacement and backing up your data.

Next is to run the WD diagnostics to get the error code, or wait till
complete failure if it passes for the short term, and get a warranty
replacement.

In the mean time I'd check case temps because it may be you have a hot spot
around the hard drive that's causing premature failure.

Old August 6th 04, 11:58 PM
Atreju

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:22:27 -0400, "Jenny"
wrote:

It is clicking like something is hitting the case. It did this about a week
ago
and I just turned the system off, bought a new hard drive just in case and
backed up everything. Is it possible that this can be fixed. It is a
western
digital wd400. It is only year and half old. Would spinrite software maybe
help it? Any experience with this out there?
Thanks much,
dancer (Jenny)

Is it a clank-clank-clank sound? I know it seems silly to ask that,
but it happens that such a sound indicates a damaged or defective
drive head. You will need to get it replaced if so.

---Atreju---
Old August 7th 04, 12:20 AM
Jenny

How do I run the WD diagnostics??
I think you are right about temperature. I put in a new one and
it already seems hotter than usual. This is in a dell 4100 and they
mount the drive vertically against the front. I don't see a way to
mount a fan but there is certainly space and it seems to need one.
Thanks,

Old August 7th 04, 01:48 AM
David Maynard

Jenny wrote:

How do I run the WD diagnostics??

If you don't have the disk go to the western digital site and download
their 'lifeguard' disk.

I think you are right about temperature. I put in a new one and
it already seems hotter than usual. This is in a dell 4100 and they
mount the drive vertically against the front. I don't see a way to
mount a fan but there is certainly space and it seems to need one.
Thanks,

That seems to be a popular mounting style these days. I just worked on an
HP machine that was the same way. Had a dead western digital hard drive
too, and guess what the symptom was: click, click, click, click, click.

Old August 7th 04, 10:24 AM
the gnome

I had exactly the same problem about 4 months ago. The WD diagnostics said
it was a damaged IDE cable.

Sceptically I replaced it, and lo and behold, no more clicking.

Although we are backing evrything up to CD and made sure SMART was turned on

the_gnome

Old August 7th 04, 01:38 PM
Phisherman

I've heard hard drive clicking many times, and that's an indication
it's about to fail. Good reason to backup now !

Old August 7th 04, 02:45 PM
David Maynard

the gnome wrote:

I had exactly the same problem about 4 months ago. The WD diagnostics said
it was a damaged IDE cable.

Sceptically I replaced it, and lo and behold, no more clicking.

Although we are backing evrything up to CD and made sure SMART was turned on

Glad it wasn't the drive.

The one I referred to, though, was checked in three other systems.

the_gnome

Old August 8th 04, 07:59 PM
Lenny Vaz

Your hard drive is about to kick the bucket. I've seen this happen on 2
hard drives before, and both were WD drives.

--
Lenny Vaz
--

"Jenny" wrote in message
It is clicking like something is hitting the case. It did this about a

week
ago
and I just turned the system off, bought a new hard drive just in case and
backed up everything. Is it possible that this can be fixed. It is a
western
digital wd400. It is only year and half old. Would spinrite software

maybe
help it? Any experience with this out there?
Thanks much,
dancer (Jenny)

---

how to test psu and reset to cmos to default Tanya General 23 February 7th 05 10:56 AM
ATA100 hard drive not recognized when PS/2 mouse is not attached S. Lipson Homebuilt PC's 2 July 27th 04 09:55 PM
Clicking Hard Drive Shadow_>>> General 6 July 27th 04 05:12 AM
Large Hard Drive & BIOS upgrade problems Lago Jardin Overclocking 10 June 13th 04 12:56 AM
Large Hard Drive & BIOS upgrade problems Lago Jardin Homebuilt PC's 1 June 12th 04 02:08 PM