I WANT A FRIGGIN GTX295!!!

Old May 18th 10, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob[_17_]

Default I WANT A FRIGGIN GTX295!!!

I'm an engineer, not a game player, damnit! My current machine has a
humble yet lovable FX5900 agp4x in it and I'm ready to build a new
workstation based on the WestmereEP 6 core CPUs.

The specs I've read about the consumer oriented nvidia cards (wikipedia)
show that the vertex and texture generation speeds of the gtx295 are as
good as (or better than) the new (EXPENSIVE!) 480 cards. Thing is, not a
single vendor in the US seems to have the 295 anymore. WTF?!

Someone suggested that the ATI 5870 might be a good alternative but I
almost exclusively do openGL stuff in Linux and I have heard BAD THINGS
about linux support for the ATI cards.

what I want:

1) lots of vertex/pixel computation firepower
2) decent texture performance
3) efficient support for shared memory x11/xover infrastructure in the
driver
4) hardware support for a VESA level framebuffer driver (for
compatibility with older CAD/CAM applications)

Things I couldn't care less about:
1) SLI (not enough room in my machine requires too much power)
2) fancy antialiasing, shaders, or photo-realism enhancements

Thoughts?

Old May 19th 10, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 5/18/2010 3:57 PM, Rob wrote:
[...]

There is no fixed pipeline for geometry transforms anymore, shader units
do everything, so a "lesser" Quadro card can perform just as well due to
both drivers and support for extensions in your applications.
Solidworks for example, uses Quadro specific (and probably FireGL)
extensions for pretty much all drawing functions and the geometry rate
for a modest FX580 is just as good or faster than my 8800GT/9800GTX+.
This is weird considering a FX580 is just a repackaged 9500GT.

Old May 19th 10, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

Am 18.05.2010 21:57, * Rob:

I'm an engineer, not a game player, damnit!

So why are you looking at gaming cards then?

My current machine has a
humble yet lovable FX5900 agp4x in it and I'm ready to build a new
workstation based on the WestmereEP 6 core CPUs.

So you do it for a hobby then? I'm also an engineer and I need to use
workstations for a living, and therefore can't afford to use selfmade
systems because most ISVs don't provide any support if you don't run
their software on a certified machine, so I buy HP or Dell workstations.
And especially the HP machines never cost me more what I would have paid
for a similar self-build system but come with 3 years onsite warranty.

The specs I've read about the consumer oriented nvidia cards (wikipedia)
show that the vertex and texture generation speeds of the gtx295 are as
good as (or better than) the new (EXPENSIVE!) 480 cards. Thing is, not a
single vendor in the US seems to have the 295 anymore. WTF?!

Well, Nvidia probably decided that by removing these cards from the
market the GTX 470/480 series becomes more attractive.

Someone suggested that the ATI 5870 might be a good alternative but I
almost exclusively do openGL stuff in Linux and I have heard BAD THINGS
about linux support for the ATI cards.

I have heard the US president is an alien. That doesn't make it true.

what I want:

1) lots of vertex/pixel computation firepower
2) decent texture performance
3) efficient support for shared memory x11/xover infrastructure in the
driver
4) hardware support for a VESA level framebuffer driver (for
compatibility with older CAD/CAM applications)

Things I couldn't care less about:
1) SLI (not enough room in my machine requires too much power)
2) fancy antialiasing, shaders, or photo-realism enhancements

Thoughts?

That's what the Nvidia Quadro and AMD FireGL/FirePro series cards are
for. These are cards which are made and certified for many professional
3D applications. The best thing when choosing a card is to follow the
ISV certification lists.

Benjamin
Old June 5th 10, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

"Rob" wrote in message
ster.com...
[...]

I'm a retired engineer, and would like a little mo

A computer with a motherboard, power supply, and set of fans
that can handle 8 GTX295s, or possibly 16 GTX470s, a computer
room with enough cooling to handle it without overheating,
and enough electrical outlets in the room that I can install a
window air conditioner and still have enough power for the
new machine and my current three computers, and of course
enough of the high-end Nvidia boards to fill up the new
computer. Here's what I'd use them for:

http://www.gpugrid.net/

Probably some other BOINC projects related to medical
research as well, as they become available.

Doesn't look like I'll get what I want, though.

Robert Miles

Old June 5th 10, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

"Rob" wrote in message
ster.com...
[...]

Here's an Nvidia site to check if any are available:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/buy_now...ml?id=GFGTX295

I don't see any available at present.

One reason is this project which uses high-end Nvidia cards:

http://www.gpugrid.net/

They therefore have a number of ads for, among other things,
high-end Nvidia cards at the bottoms of many of their pages.
Not capable of using AMD/ATI video cards (probably HD5xxx
only) yet, and won't be before the next release of AMD/ATI's
OpenCL compiler.

Robert Miles

Old June 5th 10, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
Am 18.05.2010 21:57, * Rob:

I'm an engineer, not a game player, damnit!

So why are you looking at gaming cards then?

Benjamin

So you're not aware that the high-end Nvidia-based
gaming cards contain the same main chips as the
Tesla series cards Nvidia prefers to sell for desktop
supercomputing, but with the prices lower due to
having less memory included?

This makes the high-end gaming boards useful
for desktop supercomputing jobs that require
high processor performance but not especially
high memory.

Similar AMD/ATI gaming cards are not very useful
for such purposes yet unless you want to learn
their computer language for low-level programming
of these boards first; AMD/ATI are well behind
Nvidia in providing useful compilers for other
computer languages not specific to their graphics
boards, such as an OpenCL compiler that doesn't
cause a high crash rate.

Robert Miles