W2k on new hardware?

Old May 17th 10, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Puddin' Man

Default W2k on new hardware?

I've been dragging my W2k system from this hardware to that hardware
for near 10 years now.

About 4 years ago I discovered a registry hack:

www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/Article11.html

that, when added to another trick or 2, made it practical to transfer
W2k sp4 and many, many applications, etc to the little P4 desktop
(multi-boot) system that I now run.

So I figgered something similar should be practical on the i5-650 /
Asus P7H55D-M EVO build that I assembled over the last couple days.

I've been working with 2 500gb Samsung sata HD's. Installed one on the P4
system, copied and doctored my primary W2k sp4 image to it, booted
it on the P4 sys, applied the last of the hacks, and moved it to
the new sys. It will not boot on the Asus board, sez something like:

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert media ... and press key"

I've toyed with boot.ini, all relevant bios settings, etc. Nothing shakin'.

On the other Samsung, I've tortured thru a W2k install via a slip-streamed
W2k CD. Failed to load usbhub20.sys for unknown reason. Install appeared
to complete, but on boot I get BSOD:

"STOP: c000026c failure to load usbhub20.sys from ...\system32\drivers ...
error status 0xc0000034"

and don't get the chance to run the Asus CD with the drivers, etc.

Anybody had similar experience? Anybody know something about these Asus
boards (my 1st) that I don't know?

Thx,

Old May 17th 10, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

First thing I'd try, is go into the BIOS and disable USB2 mode.
Then see if you can get around that stupid error :-)

Now, I looked in the manual, and that feature seems to be missing.
Great. On some motherboards, you can change the Intel Southbridge
to only run the USB 1.1 logic blocks.

You could also try disabling the NEC USB3 chip, on the off chance
that Win2K doesn't know what to do with it.

*******

I had two Intel drivers fail to load on mine (P5E Deluxe), but all the
hardware with the missing drivers does, is bring up the
New Hardware wizard at every Win2K boot. Which I can live with.
My USB2 seemed to work under Win2K (on an X48 chipset).

The other trick I used, is when my Win2K was on my previous
(VIA chipset) system, I plugged in a Promise Ultra133 TX2 board,
installed the driver for it, then booted Win2K while running
from the Promise controller. Then, I plugged the Promise
controller into the new motherboard, along with the disk.
When I go to boot, the OS boots up, because the OS already has
a Promise driver installed. Worked like a charm. Then, I have
time later, to install the Asus motherboard (driver) CD, and
install drivers for all the motherboard devices. Then I can
move the drive from the Promise card, over to the onboard
Jmicron IDE. And it booted fine from there. I've also used
a SATA to IDE adapter, and I can also boot that drive from
a SATA port, once the thing is adapted. So disk-wise, I'm pretty
happy.

*******

I much preferred my previous motherboard with VIA chipset, because
it had all the legacy interfaces I could ever want. Two PS/2 interfaces.
An RS-232 serial port (for when my ADSL was down, and I was resorting to
dialup for a backup system). The newer board, with less legacy support,
definitely feels lacking.

Paul
Old May 18th 10, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Puddin' Man

On Mon, 17 May 2010 00:27:57 -0400, Paul wrote:

First thing I'd try, is go into the BIOS and disable USB2 mode.
Then see if you can get around that stupid error :-)

It worked. Disabled USB and booted my mutant-install in what
looks like safe mode.

The Asus CD refuses setup (no support for w2k) and is as
useless as certain appendages on the proverbial male boar-hog.

The BSOD error msg "can't load usbhub20.sys" looks like BS.
The file was in ...\drivers. I even replaced it with the
file from my P4 sys. Still crashes, same msg.

This goes way, way beyond simple W2k support. They've
buggered things so badly it looks totally impractical
to do anything W2k with it.

I'm thinking maybe it's time to forget W2k for now,
load Win7, and finish testing my hardy-ware. Whotta
PITA!

Thanks,

Old May 18th 10, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Benjamin Gawert

Am 17.05.2010 04:25, * Puddin' Man:

I've been dragging my W2k system fromthis hardware tothat hardware
for near 10 years now.

[snip]

So I figgered something similar should be practical on the i5-650 /
Asus P7H55D-M EVO build that I assembled over the last couple days.

I'd say forget it. Why build a nice Core i5 system and then use it with
an outdated OS that doesn't know about proper multi-core support, power
management (especially CPU and SATA power saving modes), or most of the
hardware? You can put lipstick on a pig, but it still remains a pig. It
is time to let go and move to an operating system that is more
appropriate for the hardware and is actually supported by its manufacturer.

Benjamin
Old May 18th 10, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Puddin' Man

On Tue, 18 May 2010 06:09:35 +0100, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

I'd say forget it. Why build a nice Core i5 system and then use it with
an outdated OS that doesn't know about proper multi-core support, power
management (especially CPU and SATA power saving modes), or most of the
hardware? You can put lipstick on a pig, but it still remains a pig. It
is time to let go and move to an operating system that is more
appropriate for the hardware and is actually supported by its manufacturer.

Why not flush 10 years of accumulated programs, data, etc etc? I'm not
gonna answer that question. :-)

I thought I'd mentioned ... object was multi-boot ... old OS has
to install 1st. Must have mentioned it in a different thread.

Anyway, the Win7-64 install CD has been sitting here, waiting for
me.

Old May 19th 10, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Benjamin Gawert

Am 18.05.2010 20:21, * Puddin' Man:

Why not flush 10 years of accumulated programs, data, etc etc? I'm not
gonna answer that question. :-)

What makes you think that upgrading to a new OS means you have to
"flush" accumulated programs and data?

Benjamin

hardware [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 September 26th 07 05:49 AM
hardware [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 March 13th 07 08:46 AM
hardware terry j General 1 December 22nd 05 12:58 AM
Knights of the old republic was originally designed on Xbox hardware which has an equivalent Geforce3 TI card I'm told? So since it's optimized for Nvidia hardware I'm guessing that's my problem? Atiupgrade Ati Videocards 4 January 12th 04 01:32 AM
hardware Peter Nvidia Videocards 5 November 19th 03 01:43 PM