First Geforce GTX 480 Review

Old March 27th 10, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kent_Diego[_2_]

Default First Geforce GTX 480 Review

I guess the NDA expired in Germany. This site has a detailed review. Here it
translated version:
http://translate.google.com/translat...2F&sl=de&tl=en

Old March 28th 10, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB[_2_]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19264... l_dnx_t_crawl

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...e_gtx_480.html

Old March 28th 10, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Slightly overclocked cards are already listed for about $30 more than
regular GTX 480s.

Shame the GTX 470/480 cannot drive 3 monitors with a single card, like the
5850/5870 can.

Old March 28th 10, 09:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter Dassow

First of One wrote:
Slightly overclocked cards are already listed for about $30 more than
regular GTX 480s.

Shame the GTX 470/480 cannot drive 3 monitors with a single card, like the
5850/5870 can.

Not all users need 3 monitors (and you have to pay for 3 monitors also,
that's usually not a gift).
Also, GTX 470 and GTX480 scales a lot of better for DX11 titles.
The only negative point is power consumption, nothing else.
See for a GTX470 review also he
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...480_sli_review

Regards
Peter
Old March 28th 10, 11:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

Am 28.03.2010 09:52, * Peter Dassow:

Not all users need 3 monitors (and you have to pay for 3 monitors also,
that's usually not a gift).
Also, GTX 470 and GTX480 scales a lot of better for DX11 titles.

Not really.

The only negative point is power consumption, nothing else.
See for a GTX470 review also he
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...480_sli_review

The conclusion doesn't seem to be as optimistic as you view:

"So, GF100 is here, and we’ve been playing new DX11 games on it for a
straight week, working ourselves through games such as Metro 2033 and
Bad Company 2 and Aliens vs. Predator. Our first impression with the
GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 is that nothing really wowed us in
our gaming experiences with the cards. The one thing that stood out in
our minds was, "We’ve already been here before," the Radeon HD 5870 and
Radeon HD 5850 have been giving us this same experience since last
year.....The GTX 480 is quite simply not a "Radeon HD 5870 Killer." We
don’t know if we were supposed to think it would be or not, but with the
power consumption this beast requires, you would hope it would be
providing a bit more performance than it is...."

And that two Geforce GTX 480 in SLI are faster than a Radeon 5970 (which
is basically a XFire setup of two Radeon 5850s) is hardly surprising,
and it would be highly embarrassing if this wouldn't be the case if you
look at the riddiculous price tag.

Ben
Old March 28th 10, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Peter Dassow" wrote in message
Not all users need 3 monitors (and you have to pay for 3 monitors also,
that's usually not a gift).

With 23" 1920x1080 monitors going for as little as $180, paying for 3 is
within reach of most mortals.

3 monitors do a lot more for immersion than buzzword features like
tessellation or compute shaders.

Old March 28th 10, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter Dassow

First of One wrote:
"Peter Dassow" wrote in message
Not all users need 3 monitors (and you have to pay for 3 monitors also,
that's usually not a gift).

With 23" 1920x1080 monitors going for as little as $180, paying for 3 is
within reach of most mortals.

3 monitors do a lot more for immersion than buzzword features like
tessellation or compute shaders.

So just buy 3 and an ATI card. What's the problem ? If your decision is
for ATI, fine. I will go with nVidia for another reason: Because I made
negative expirience with so many Catalyst driver versions I can't count.

Peter
Old March 29th 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

I have the same opinion on the Catalysts. I would rather prefer to game on 3
monitors with an nVidia card. Thanks to nVidia's misplaced priorities, that
won't be possible.

Old March 29th 10, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

Am 28.03.2010 21:16, * Peter Dassow:

So just buy 3 and an ATI card. What's the problem ? If your decision is
for ATI, fine. I will go with nVidia for another reason: Because I made
negative expirience with so many Catalyst driver versions I can't count.

I have several PCs here, some with ATI cards and some with Nvidia cards,
and the Catalyst drivers, and the Catalyst drivers are generally not
more troublesome than their Nvidia pedants. I don't know with what card
and what drivers you had problems with but it is very likely that the
real problem was within something else in your hard- or software. Yes,
ATI had some really awful drivers for their Rage series of cards, but
that was over a decade ago. The unified drivers for Radeons are really
good, and if that wouldn't be the case then for sure every review of ATI
gfx cards would mention how great this card is but unless the drivers
get better the card is useless. This isn't the case. Go figure.

BTW: my latest negative experience with Nvidia drivers wasn't too long
ago when they messed up with the 196.75. So no, even in Nvidia land not
everything is nice and perfect.

Ben
Old March 29th 10, 06:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

[...]

ago when they really messed up with the 196.75, but at least none of my
Nvidia cards were damaged (others weren't that lucky, though). So no,
even in Nvidia land not everything is nice and perfect.

It usually didn't matter much if you bought ATI or Nvidia as the
differences in performance were often rather small, however at the
moment one must be really braindead to buy a Geforce GTX 470/480,
considering the high price tag and the insane amount of power it draws,
and the disappointing performance.

Ben