Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Old January 3rd 05, 07:01 PM
Robert Hancock

Default Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Lem wrote:
Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
(usually by Intel) to their specs. I don't think they do the nonstandard
power connector anymore, but they do still do the nonstandard front
panel controls connector. Also, some boards have had a somewhat
nonstandard shape which may prevent replacing with a standard ATX board.

Essentially, don't count on being able to change out the motherboard in
the original case..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old January 3rd 05, 07:14 PM
Gordon Scott

Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.
Old January 3rd 05, 07:31 PM
Aosmosis

"Gordon Scott" wrote in message
Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.

A company called Hon Hai makes them in China

Old January 3rd 05, 08:36 PM
Immuno

"Lem" wrote in message ...
Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

If your ever considering "looking under the bonnet", or peeking at the
BIOS - don't do Dell!

Pete

Old January 3rd 05, 11:33 PM
Venom

Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
Build it yourself using good brand name hardware and build it the way you
want it. You will be very pleased with the results.

Old January 4th 05, 12:25 AM
FG

Dell does not make its own motherboards.
But they are made to its specifications.

Old January 4th 05, 01:55 AM
WoofWoof

FG wrote:

Dell does not make its own motherboards.
But they are made to its specifications.

But there's a range of possibilities in that statement.

Any OEM of any significance has motherboards (and other hardware)
"made to its own specifications" but in many cases that simply means
they take the vendor's (say Intel's) spec. and incorporate it as their
own. They then order parts to this (their own) spec.

The advantage for the OEM is that it freezes the vendor's spec for the
board so that they can't make subsequent changes without the knowledge
and agreement (by a corresponding spec change) of the oem. This is a
very common practice amongst oems in all industries.

In other cases, large oem's do the whole design job in house, and
have someone make it for them (or make it themselves).
Old January 4th 05, 02:05 AM
Rob Stow

Robert Hancock wrote:
Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
(usually by Intel)

Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !

There was a big hubbub in the IT/tech news about it at
the time - how could everyone have forgotten already ?

Old January 4th 05, 02:35 AM
daytripper

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:05:17 GMT, Rob Stow wrote:

Robert Hancock wrote:
Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
(usually by Intel)

Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !

Really? So these two dual-Prestonia/Lindenhurst server boards that we got from
Intel (one is a "Roadrunner" and the other is a "Coyote") don't actually
exist? Wow - that's a scary reality! ;-)

There was a big hubbub in the IT/tech news about it at
the time - how could everyone have forgotten already ?

Possibly because it wasn't true?

/daytripper