Avoid Circuit City

Old May 22nd 04, 03:48 PM
Karl

I went in on Monday to buy an HP Notebook model ZX5160. They were offering
an additional $250 off and with a $100 rebate the price was $1199.....

My question is you went to CC to buy a Notebook that you probably saw in a
sale flyer. Did you see the This sale Ends on.... or Rebate Expires on.....
In the flyer, they all have expiration dates

Old May 22nd 04, 05:12 PM
Christopher Vitek

"MikeW" wrote in message

Sounds like you can't understand that the guy wrote the price with the
rebate down on a piece of paper on Monday. That would be 5/17/04 which is
greater than 5/16/04. Your point is demonsrtrably wrong.

Except that you didn't say that in the original post. By writing it down,
was he guaranteeing the price?

If you are relying on a rebate for the price of something, I would assume it
is your (the customer's) responsibility to find out the details of the
rebate - what you need to do, when it ends, when you need to submit by, etc.

Now, if the saleman TOLD you that the prices would still be good when you
came back on Wed, that is the fault of Circuit City, and you should still
get the price. If you just assumed that it would still be good, that is
your own fault. And you can't fault the salesman for NOT telling you,
because then you probably would be complaining about the "hard sell" (I
wanted to go research the computers, and the salesman kept telling me that
the price was only good until tomorrow, so I needed to buy it today, etc
etc).

Face it, you messed up on this one. The good news is that rebates like that
happen just about every other week, either at Circuit City, Best Buy,
CompUSA, or whatever.

Old May 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Christopher Vitek

This isn't quite the case - the rebate actually expired Monday, so he still
could have bought it then.

The initial salesman when he came back on Wed said it expired on Sunday, but
he was mistaken.

Chris
"Pokoho" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 May 2004 04:52:12 -0500, MikeW wrote:

I don't need the money. I have plenty as this $250 does not make or break
me. It is principle.

According to you, you went their on Monday when the rebate expired the
day before. Then you get ****ed off because you came back Wednesday
and can't get the rebate that ended Sunday, a day before you initially
showed up. What a dope.

Old May 23rd 04, 08:01 AM
Pokoho

On Sat, 22 May 2004 08:17:48 -0400, "pedro itriago"
wrote:

I think you're all missing the point that the guy is not asking for help or
sympathy on this matter, he's just telling what happened to him so you be
aware when you enter that store.

Nothing happened to him. The first goddamned thing I do when I go to
buy an item with a rebate is verify the rebate dates to make sure it
is within the time frame. Had the guy done that he wouldn't have gone
home to research an OUT OF STOCK computer that any moron would know
would not appear in two days or he would have come back the same day
after researching it.

If you don't care for his warning just don't post.

His warning? He only warned everyone else how stupid he is and to
warn the stores to not deal with such a mental case. Then you don't
want us to post because we expose his stupidity.

In my case it was not just the problem with rebates, it was also to poor
help I got from them and the poor knowledge they had about their products.
Those things make them look like if their clients knows a little too much
what they want, they're not worth the hassle, and they ultimately lost my
business and the other two people's who where there.

Well the other guy expected poor knowledge because he wanted to come
home and research the other computer.

And for the part that "if the salesman was reading..." I think he already
did, check the moron with the name pokoho, which seems afraid that if people
reads this thread without his post being the last word (and very loud), his
shares on circuit city will loose market value.

I don't work at CC but have had good luck with their rebates and have
had a problem at one time. I just don't see how it is their fault
because the customer was too stupid to know when the rebate ended,
decided to leave to research another computer that wasn't even in
stock, and was ****ed because the store rep didn't chase him into the
parking lot to tell him the rebate would be over by Wednesday when the
dumb ass decided he didn't want to buy on Monday.
Old May 23rd 04, 08:02 AM
Pokoho

On Sat, 22 May 2004 07:29:11 -0500, EF wrote:

OMG, this is like asking for a lotto ticket for last weeks drawing!

Good analogy.

Stores like BestBuy and Circuit run sales from Sunday to Saturday, every
Sunday a new flyer comes out with the new sales. Live and learn.

Besides that, it is the customers responsibility for knowing when the
rebate ends.

Old May 23rd 04, 08:03 AM
Pokoho

On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:48:58 GMT, "Karl" wrote:

My question is you went to CC to buy a Notebook that you probably saw in a
sale flyer. Did you see the This sale Ends on.... or Rebate Expires on.....
In the flyer, they all have expiration dates

No he expected the sales person to knwo when all rebates expire even
ones that expired 5 years ago on every product. It's like buying
transmission fluid for your car and putting it where the oild goes and
then saying the store sold you the srong stuff.

Old May 23rd 04, 08:08 AM
Pokoho

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:12:53 GMT, "Christopher Vitek"
wrote:
Sounds like you can't understand that the guy wrote the price with the
rebate down on a piece of paper on Monday. That would be 5/17/04 which is
greater than 5/16/04. Your point is demonsrtrably wrong.

Except that you didn't say that in the original post. By writing it down,
was he guaranteeing the price?

Sounds like the guy was buying a car. The sales guy probably wrote it
down as a coutesy. In any event if the rebate was over on Sunday the
guy would have found out when he purchased the item on Monday. If it
ended on Monday the store had no responsibility to tell the customer
that the rebate would be over by Wednesday. They figure the customer
would have enough brains to do that especially when he expressed
intereste in a completely different computer and left without buying
because of that.

If you are relying on a rebate for the price of something, I would assume it
is your (the customer's) responsibility to find out the details of the
rebate - what you need to do, when it ends, when you need to submit by, etc.

Everyone but him knows that. I challenge anyone to go into any store,
grab a sales person at random, and ask them when the rebate expires on
a particular product. They won't know.

Now, if the saleman TOLD you that the prices would still be good when you
came back on Wed, that is the fault of Circuit City, and you should still
get the price. If you just assumed that it would still be good, that is
your own fault. And you can't fault the salesman for NOT telling you,
because then you probably would be complaining about the "hard sell" (I
wanted to go research the computers, and the salesman kept telling me that
the price was only good until tomorrow, so I needed to buy it today, etc
etc).

I said the same thing about the hard sell. Glad someone else caught
that angle.

Face it, you messed up on this one. The good news is that rebates like that
happen just about every other week, either at Circuit City, Best Buy,
CompUSA, or whatever.

But they require one to be intelligent to take advantage of them.
That leaves the original poster out.

Clicking Seagate drive / Swapped circuit board John Smith Homebuilt PC's 8 June 3rd 04 07:56 AM
Avoid Circuit City MikeW Overclocking 41 June 1st 04 04:11 PM
Avoid Circuit City MikeW General 29 May 27th 04 07:37 AM
Hewlett-Packard & Circuit City Richard E Sgrignoli General 2 March 17th 04 09:42 AM
vcore mod a7n8x-x Moods Asus Motherboards 1 January 18th 04 10:23 AM