recommendation for a Laser printer

Old August 18th 07, 10:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob

Default recommendation for a Laser printer

I'm in the market for a cheaper colour laser printer.

Looking at the Epson C1100.

or is there something else which would be better more reliable etc

Help appreciated.

thanks

Old August 19th 07, 01:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

There are a number of issues with color laser printers to consider.

Obviously number one is print quality, so try to see a sample.

Speed of first copy out and output there-after

Check to see if you can expand memory and if standard memory can be used
or it it is proprietary and likely quite costly

Toner qualities (some are matte, some semi-gloss and some glossy), and
depending upon the type of paper and "look" you are after can influence
which you prefer. Also, some allow for some adjustment to the gloss
level by changing fuser temperature or speed. Also look at what the
maximum size and thickness of paper stock the printer will accommodate.

Does it network, and is this important?

And lastly, but not leastly, look carefully at the amount of toner
offered in the original cartridges that come with the printer, cost of
the replacement cartridges, and what yield they will have, drums, belts
and other consumables and costs. Often the first replacement of the
toner cartridges will cost more than the full printer and initial
cartridges.

In general, just like inkjet printers, the cheaper the initial cost of
the printer, the more the replacement cartridges will cost, and as well,
the cost per print will be. Sometimes, a slightly more expensive
printer will come with twice the toner in the initial cartridges, and
considering cost of the toner, it will actually be cheaper that way, so
don't just look at acquisition price.

Most toner cartridges are rated in terms of output by a coverage of only
5% per color. That barely provides a wide margined text document.
Charts, images and photographs can easily use 50% or more coverage per
color, meaning 10X faster usage of the consumables. A toner cartridge
rated for 2000 copies at 5% may only give you 200 if you mainly print
full coverage photo images.

Oh, one more thing. Some toner cartridges are chipped so that once they
run out they cannot be refilled, or can only be refilled with a costly
chip replacement. If you are considering using refill kits try to find
a unit that doesn't microchip the toner cartridges so you can easily
refill them.

Art

Old August 19th 07, 02:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob

Arthur Entlich wrote:

[...]

Thanks Art

I actually had not considered some of the points you mentioned.

Did note the printers came with a short supply of toner which ever
printer you buy.

So for anyone, just don't pick the first and cheapest printer. Do a cost
analysis of the consumable as well.

Old August 19th 07, 04:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

To which I'd add this from my own experience:
- Is there an independent market of third-party consumables for the printer?
- What's the OE price for toner, and also _the drum_. The drum for my
Okidata LED printer is at least $165, and there are no third-party
replacements. That price inflates every year. Positive: the drum life is
long; negative -- it's expensive. Discounts are available that bring Oki
toner into a reasonable range. In fact, by comparison, the savings of
third-party toner make the alternative unattractive. Positive: the
machine is well-built and strong.

These are the things that I've learned to consider. I found, for
example, that when I had an HP III printer, that the independent supply
was robust and extensive, bringing the cost of the aftermarket
toner/drum units very affordable, which means that the printer itself
becomes attractive to feed.

Richard
Old August 19th 07, 07:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article q4Mxi.68227$_d2.22997@pd7urf3no,
Arthur Entlich wrote:

Check to see if you can expand memory and if standard memory can be used
or it it is proprietary and likely quite costly

I did my analysis and decided on an HP 3800dtn, although it isn't
locally available in that configuration. Then I looked at the cost and
decided to compromise on the HP 2605dn, which is sold in most office
supply stores and weighs a lot less.

One feature that attracted me was HP's statement that the 2605 used
"industry standard" memory. It may be standard, but no one carries it
around here, not even the stores that sell the printer. HP doesn't even
have the maximum-size listed. I had to do a lot of searching on the web
to find a source, although it wasn't very expensive.

The 2605dn came with a set of full toner cartridges. I think it is up
to about 2000 copies now on the original set, although the black toner
is getting low.

I didn't realize I was going to use the 2605 as much when I bought it.
It is so much faster than an inkjet, that I print stuff I wouldn't have
printed before.

Fred
Old August 20th 07, 03:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 18, 5:52 pm, Rob wrote:
I'm in the market for a cheaper colour laser printer.

Looking at the Epson C1100.

or is there something else which would be better more reliable etc

Help appreciated.

thanks

If you dont mind me asking, why consider a colour laser in the first
place over an ink jet?

Do you think they will print colour documents cheaply?

If it is a cost issue, please see my post on "best thing since sliced
bread":
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....87e32e0b8c7958

.... Rudi

Old August 20th 07, 02:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 20, 5:25 am, Rob wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:52 pm, Rob wrote:

I'm in the market for a cheaper colour laser printer.

Looking at the Epson C1100.

or is there something else which would be better more reliable etc

Help appreciated.

thanks

If you dont mind me asking, why consider a colour laser in the first
place over an ink jet?

Do you think they will print colour documents cheaply?

If it is a cost issue, please see my post on "best thing since sliced
bread":
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....owse_thread/th...

... Rudi

I have a r1800 epson also a r200 with a cis. so thats not an issue.

Before you buy, see if it is a popular model for easy refilling or
aftermarket toners. I really hate paying a fortune for these things if
I am not making money with them.

Old August 20th 07, 02:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob

Arthur Entlich wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit skeptical about HP products, not sure with lasers, have
returned a inkjet, after trying to sort out a printing problem with the
Indian call centre. There have been some horror stories with HP
scanners as well.

But Ill look into the costing.