Compaq Arrays That Allow Read Only LUNS?

Old February 19th 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Compaq Arrays That Allow Read Only LUNS?

Do any of the MSA500 / MSA1000 / MSA1500 RAID controllers give you a way to
define a LUN as read-only to a host computer? I'm using this to provide a
large group of files to three computers that get updated maybe once a month.
Sure I could use a network share, but would for performance reasons like to
do this on fibre channel if it can be done.

--
Will

Old February 19th 06, 11:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

i re-read this ... you cant do this with windows. and besides, of you had 3
hosts hitting the LUN via a single fibre connection, wouldnt you have the
same (imaginary) performance issues as you would have with your network
share?

Just set it up on one machine, and highly-connect the other hosts to the
same switch ... GigE with LB via LAN Teams ... should be fine.

- LC

Old February 20th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I've seen it done quite common for video servers and for gaming with
multi-machine setups.

--
Will

t...

Old February 20th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

You can do this with Windows XP and Windows 2003 but could not with Windows
2000. You have to mark the volume readonly in Windows and now after some
fixes it acts correctly.

One reason I need this in fibre channel (or iscsi) is that I need the volume
to be seen as a local Windows device so that I can use junctions to organize
separate LUNs into a single file tree. The network has other traffic on
it, and the disk access I need will be quite intensive so having a separate
channel for that would be desirable.

Yes, worst case I'll use the network. Just checking for alternatives.

--
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
i re-read this ... you cant do this with windows. and besides, of you had

3
hosts hitting the LUN via a single fibre connection, wouldnt you have the
same (imaginary) performance issues as you would have with your network
share?

Just set it up on one machine, and highly-connect the other hosts to the
same switch ... GigE with LB via LAN Teams ... should be fine.

- LC

HP color laser $299 includes jetdirect ethernet card - extra toners NEW $20, also hp 8500 $700 8550n $950 [email protected] Printers 2 November 12th 05 05:40 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 3rd 05 01:27 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq FAQ **Pls read before posting a question** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 1st 04 11:28 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM