17" TFT at SVP is no more :(

Old January 14th 05, 02:12 PM
Parish

Rob S wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:49:36 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

-A 4 month nightmare experience is considered pretty good for Acer.
-9 Months is about average.

Had been waiting 3 months for them to collect a faulty TFT.

Sounds like they've changed their collection system and they arrange
collection. When I rang them they gave me the phone number of their
carrier - CityLink - and a reference number for me to arrange collection
directly with the courier. I rang CL on the Thursday afternoon and they
said they'd collect on Monday between 1pm and 5pm - they turned up at 3pm.

Fortunately not one
we needed desperately, obviously. Tried to get through on, oh, about 25
occasions. Emailed about 6 times with no reply at all. Either a msg to ring back
later (!) or on hold interminably then cut off. Finally got through:

"Why haven't you come and collected my screen as arranged?"
"Grunt"
"Will you collect it?"
"Ring our courier"

To cut a long story short.....now it's gone, no advance replacement, doubt I'll
ever see it again or get through to them again.

In the end they sent me a brand new replacement.

Parish

Has the old dabs CS manager gone over to Acer?

LOL!

Parish
Old January 14th 05, 02:35 PM
Parish

Parish wrote:

Also, as the monitor was past the 6 month limit in the SoGA that
requires retailers to fix or replace a faulty item within 30 days (the
onus being on them to prove that it isn't faulty) I would, with
hindsight, probably been in a worse situation had I sent it back to Dabs
as I doubt that they would have chased Acer as hard as I did.

As an addendum to that I should say that even though it was past the 6
month SoGA limit had I known the fiasco that ensued I would actually
have been better returning it to Dabs because it would have been to my
advantage if I'd had to take legal action.

If you take action in the Small Claims Court the fees are (or were when
I investigated) £30 for claims upto £300 but only if it's a money-only
claim; if it's not money-only then it's £130 - both types of claim will
also incur an £80 Assign To Track fee if the case gets listed to be
heard. Although you will get that back from the defendant if you win
(assuming you remember to include it in the claim!) you have to weigh up
the risk.

IANAL but I took advantage of a free Law clinic at a local firm of
Solicitors about the situation as, although I had sent the monitor to
Acer on their "instructions" I hadn't bought it from them so I needed to
know whether a contract actually existed. I was advised that a contract
did indeed exist but that, as I hadn't bought the monitor from them, I
couldn't make a claim against Acer for the value of it, the claim would
have to be for the return, or replacement, of my monitor, therefore it
would cost me £130 - £210 - which even though I was advised I had a cast
iron claim I would still have had to pay the money up-front. Of course
£210 was more than the monitor cost and by then the price had fallen as
well.

Parish
Old January 14th 05, 02:47 PM
Mike

"Parish" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"Parish" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
Just bear in mind that if you have to send it to Acer under warranty
that it will be sent all over Europe, then lost, and only when you
mention legal action will they send you a replacement 4 months after
they collected the original from you and in between all replies to
letters and e-mails will be in the form of form letters that don't
answer or address the points/questions you raised.

And that's if you're lucky!

so _I_ was lucky? ;-)

Parish

Yes. very lucky.
A 4 month nightmare experience is considered pretty good for Acer.
9 Months is about average.

Have you been a victim as well?

Parish

Oh yes. My Laptop disappeared into the black hole of Acer support and came
back in worse condition than it went.
From reading around at the time i wasn't alone, they are bloody useless.
Acer are the cheapest and I made a decent saving at the time of purchase,
however I recon it cost
me 3x as much in the long run due to all the time and hassle.
You've got to be nuts to 'risk' buying Acer.

Old January 14th 05, 03:53 PM

Parish wrote:
wrote:
Parish wrote:
Lordy wrote:
Comet are doing an Acer model for less than 200UKP ....

Just bear in mind that if you have to send it to Acer under warranty
that it will be sent all over Europe, then lost, and only when you
mention legal action will they send you a replacement 4 months after
they collected the original from you and in between all replies to
letters and e-mails will be in the form of form letters that don't
answer or address the points/questions you raised.

Why send it back to Acer if you've bought it from Comet or wherever?
Get the vendor to sort it out, it's their responsibility.

In my case I was going to but the "fault" was, IMO, strange so I rang
Acer to discuss the problem first. When they diagnosed it as faulty and
that I should return it to them I asked if I shouldn't return it to the
retailer - Dabs - and was told that "Dabs will only return it to us, so
you may as well send it directly as it will be quicker" - Ha bloody ha!

Also, as the monitor was past the 6 month limit in the SoGA that

There's no specific '6 month limit' in the SOGA I don't think, it
would depend on the item in question. In my opinion a monitor would
be expected to last a lot longer than six months.

--
Chris Green
Old January 14th 05, 04:14 PM
Parish

Parish wrote:
wrote:
Parish wrote:
Lordy wrote:
[...]

The 6 month limit is the point at which the supplier has to prove the
goods are _not_ faulty changes to the purchaser having to prove that
they are. This (potentially) affects your chances of successful legal
action.

From the DTI's Fact Sheet on the subject at
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm the last two
points under Key Facts a

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the
first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the
goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the
consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

Parish
Old January 14th 05, 05:57 PM
Dave

"Lordy" wrote in message
.. .
SVP were stocking the 17" 16ms Digimates for 170UKP.

snip.........
Have a look here, they are a good company and have a couple of 17" tft
screens at resonable prices
http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/ac...D_Screens.html

Old January 14th 05, 10:32 PM
loz

"Mike" wrote in message
A 4 month nightmare experience is considered pretty good for Acer.
9 Months is about average.

Well that's nothing like my recent experience of Acer.
My Acer 17" TFT had a problem - it kept switching itself off about about 30
mins.
They diagnosed a board needed replacement.
It was collected FOC by a courier they dispatched the next day.
And returned, fixed, later the same week.

Loz