19" CRT monitor recommendation

Old April 1st 04, 12:18 PM
Individual.NET

Default 19" CRT monitor recommendation

Cannot make up my mind which one to go for. Most likely to be used at
1600x1200 or 1280x1024 for office type application and some games, but
nothing too fancy. Good picture quality the top priority.

Ideally would like to buy from Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/M...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0) as I
already have several other items that I plan to order from them, so can
combine P&P.

Budget around £150-175

Any advice will be much appreciated.

TIA,

J.

Old April 1st 04, 07:04 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Individual.NET" wrote:

Cannot make up my mind which one to go for. Most likely to be used at
1600x1200 or 1280x1024 for office type application and some games, but
nothing too fancy. Good picture quality the top priority.

Ideally would like to buy from Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/M...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0) as I
already have several other items that I plan to order from them, so can
combine P&P.

Budget around £150-175

Any advice will be much appreciated.

My advice would be get something smaller or put up with what you have
at the moment until you've saved enough to buy a really good monitor.
The monitor is the one component that can have the most impact on your
comfort and long term health and, if chosen wisely, will outlive
several generations of machine, saving money in the long run.

That said, the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 455 is a DiamondTron tube so
should have a good quality display. From experience of Samsung
monitors I'd expect the SyncMaster 957 P to be good too but Novatech
don't have stock or a delivery date for them.

--
iv Paul iv

Old April 1st 04, 07:21 PM
Parish

Paul Hopwood wrote:

"Individual.NET" wrote:

Cannot make up my mind which one to go for. Most likely to be used
at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 for office type application and some
games, but nothing too fancy. Good picture quality the top
priority.

Ideally would like to buy from Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/M...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0)
as I already have several other items that I plan to order from
them, so can combine P&P.

Budget around £150-175

Any advice will be much appreciated.

My advice would be get something smaller or put up with what you have
at the moment until you've saved enough to buy a really good monitor.
The monitor is the one component that can have the most impact on
your comfort and long term health and, if chosen wisely, will outlive
several generations of machine, saving money in the long run.

I agree with that.

That said, the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 455 is a DiamondTron tube so
should have a good quality display.

I've got a 454 Pro (presumably the 455 is an enhanced version) and it is
a superb monitor. Iiyamas have regularly been on PC Pro's A-list.

At £150-175 you are really looking at the bottom end of the 19" market
and you _can_ see the difference.

Parish

From experience of Samsung monitors I'd expect the SyncMaster 957 P

Old April 1st 04, 08:16 PM
nightic

I've got a 454 Pro (presumably the 455 is an enhanced version) and it is
a superb monitor. Iiyamas have regularly been on PC Pro's A-list.

The 455 is the budget version of the 454, coming in at around £60 cheaper
(RRP).

HTH

Old April 1st 04, 09:32 PM
Tone-EQ

Budget around £150-175
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Not enough in my opinion! Keep reading...

The monitor is the one component that can have the most impact on
your comfort and long term health and, if chosen wisely, will outlive
several generations of machine, saving money in the long run.

At £150-175 you are really looking at the bottom end of the 19" market
and you _can_ see the difference.

Two very good thoughts. I have quite bad eyesight and a quality monitor
really has helped the headaches and eye strain!

....and yes, you can see the difference. I go to work and stare at the Dell
monitor @ 85Hz and it flickers, at least it seems like it does compared to
my monitor.

I bought a 19" CRT several months ago, eventually going for this:
http://tinyurl.com/3duc7
(Read my review for more details.)

Obviously this information is of no use to you if you only want to spend a
maximum of £175. But think about an extra £100, it _will_ be worth it in the
long run. Go for the 930SB of the already mentioned Ilyama 454/455 model.
--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.co.uk

Old April 1st 04, 10:49 PM
Individual.NET

"Individual.NET" wrote in message
Cannot make up my mind which one to go for. Most likely to be used at
1600x1200 or 1280x1024 for office type application and some games, but
nothing too fancy. Good picture quality the top priority.

Ideally would like to buy from Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/M...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0) as

already have several other items that I plan to order from them, so can
combine P&P.

Budget around £150-175

Any advice will be much appreciated.

TIA,

J.

Thanks for all the useful advice.

I took yours comments on board, squeezed a little more, and just ordered a
new 192 Liyama Vision Master Pro 454 from Scan (£232 + £10 delivery).

Old April 2nd 04, 01:20 AM
Parish

Individual.NET wrote:
"Individual.NET" wrote in message
Cannot make up my mind which one to go for. Most likely to be used at
1600x1200 or 1280x1024 for office type application and some games, but
nothing too fancy. Good picture quality the top priority.

Ideally would like to buy from Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/M...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0) as

already have several other items that I plan to order from them, so can
combine P&P.

Budget around £150-175

Any advice will be much appreciated.

TIA,

J.

Thanks for all the useful advice.

I took yours comments on board, squeezed a little more, and just ordered a
new 192 Liyama Vision Master Pro 454 from Scan (£232 + £10 delivery).

Just to make it a bit less painful for you, my 454 cost £100 more than
that just over a year ago.

Parish
Old April 2nd 04, 06:08 AM
Tone-EQ

Cannot make up my mind which one to go for. Most likely to be used at
1600x1200 or 1280x1024 for office type application and some games, but
nothing too fancy. Good picture quality the top priority.

Ideally would like to buy from Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/M...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0)

as
already have several other items that I plan to order from them, so can
combine P&P.

Budget around £150-175

Any advice will be much appreciated.

TIA,

J.

Thanks for all the useful advice.

I took yours comments on board, squeezed a little more, and just ordered a
new 192 Liyama Vision Master Pro 454 from Scan (£232 + £10 delivery).

Good to hear, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
--

http://www.discogs.com

Old April 2nd 04, 10:45 AM
lizard

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:20:36 +0100, Parish wrote:

I took yours comments on board, squeezed a little more, and just
ordered a new 192 Liyama Vision Master Pro 454 from Scan (£232 + £10
delivery).

Just to make it a bit less painful for you, my 454 cost £100 more than
that just over a year ago.

I paid about 240 for mine 18 months ago but I got it from Dabs 2nd grade
stock as someone had returned it because of "shimmering effect on
horizontal lines when looking at spreadsheets" which they couldn't fix
(they had left the returns note in the box) but of course reducing the
moire setting fixed it in no time so I was well chuffed, and it is a
most excellent monitor. In a previous job a few years back we would stick
19" Iiyamas on all of our techies desks and we never had a problem with
any of them and everyone loved the monitors so I would really recommend
Iiyama.

Lizard
Old April 2nd 04, 10:55 AM
Parish

lizard wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:20:36 +0100, Parish wrote:

I took yours comments on board, squeezed a little more, and just
ordered a new 192 Liyama Vision Master Pro 454 from Scan (£232
+ £10 delivery).

Just to make it a bit less painful for you, my 454 cost £100 more
than that just over a year ago.

I paid about 240 for mine 18 months ago but I got it from Dabs 2nd
grade stock as someone had returned it because of "shimmering effect
on horizontal lines when looking at spreadsheets" which they couldn't
fix (they had left the returns note in the box) but of course
reducing the moire setting fixed it in no time so I was well
chuffed,

Go on, make me feel really sick why don't you :-)

and it is a most excellent monitor.

Can't argue with that.

BTW, what resolution do you use? I find 1280x1024 the best; 1600x1200 is
a bit too much for me. Interestingly my Dell laptop with a 15.1" TFT
runs at a native 1440x1050 and is just as easy to use but put the two
side by side and everything on the Dell desktop looks about half the size.

Ever tried it at 2048x1536? :-)

Parish