AMI BIOS setting question

Old February 28th 06, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default AMI BIOS setting question

AMI 2003 Revision 1021 BIOS.
P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard

If anyone has this BIOS and/or mainbord, where is the "WAke on LAN" setting
enabled or disabled?
TIA

Old February 28th 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , "BP"
wrote:

AMI 2003 Revision 1021 BIOS.
P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard

If anyone has this BIOS and/or mainbord, where is the "WAke on LAN" setting
enabled or disabled?
TIA

"Power on by PCI Devices" [Enabled]

Power on by PCI Devices, enabled PME from PCI slots, and
also handles the PME signal coming from the LAN chip.
That is why it is needed to support Wake On LAN.

Then go into Windows and set the LAN interface, with
stuff like "Allow Windows to..." and maybe a "Magic Packet"
setting somewhere. You probably already know that part.

Paul
Old February 28th 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "BP"
wrote:

AMI 2003 Revision 1021 BIOS.
P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard

If anyone has this BIOS and/or mainbord, where is the "WAke on LAN"
setting
enabled or disabled?
TIA

"Power on by PCI Devices" [Enabled]

Power on by PCI Devices, enabled PME from PCI slots, and
also handles the PME signal coming from the LAN chip.
That is why it is needed to support Wake On LAN.

Then go into Windows and set the LAN interface, with
stuff like "Allow Windows to..." and maybe a "Magic Packet"
setting somewhere. You probably already know that part.

Paul

I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut down.
I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping I
missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
somewhere. Fate worse than death.

Old March 1st 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"Paul" wrote in message
...|
|I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping I
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
--

-nos1eep
Old March 1st 06, 01:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"nos1eep" wrote in message
It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"Paul" wrote in message
...|
|I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut
down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping I
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
--

I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking: "Wake
on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did change "wake

Old March 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

BP wrote:
"nos1eep" wrote in message

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"Paul" wrote in message
...|
|I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut
down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping I
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
--

I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking: "Wake
on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did change "wake
on settings" to Disabled, no change.
I am almost sure that I've got all of the BIOS and OS settings correct. The
demon just does not repond normally.
Now I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the adapter, assuming a driver
corruption. Kidding myself?

Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED to
go out?

Old March 1st 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"David Maynard" wrote in message
BP wrote:
"nos1eep" wrote in message

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"Paul" wrote in message
...|
|I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut
down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
--

I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking:
"Wake on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did
change "wake on settings" to Disabled, no change.
I am almost sure that I've got all of the BIOS and OS settings correct.
The demon just does not repond normally.
Now I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the adapter, assuming a driver
corruption. Kidding myself?

Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED to
go out?

The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.
I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer is
off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut off.
Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so I've
eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the problem
box after shutdown.
Thanks

Old March 2nd 06, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

BP wrote:

"nos1eep" wrote in message

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"Paul" wrote in message
...|
|I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut
down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
--

I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking:
"Wake on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did
change "wake on settings" to Disabled, no change.
I am almost sure that I've got all of the BIOS and OS settings correct.
The demon just does not repond normally.
Now I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the adapter, assuming a driver
corruption. Kidding myself?

Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED to
go out?

The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.

OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN can
be 'disabling' it without necessarily powering it down.

I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer is
off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut off.
Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so I've
eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the problem
box after shutdown.
Thanks

It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on,
regardless of the NIC being powered, if that's your worry.

Old March 2nd 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

BP wrote:
"David Maynard" wrote in message

BP wrote:

"nos1eep" wrote in message
m...

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"Paul" wrote in message
...|
|I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut
down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was
hoping I
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking
setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
--

I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking:
"Wake on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did
change "wake on settings" to Disabled, no change.
I am almost sure that I've got all of the BIOS and OS settings correct.
The demon just does not repond normally.
Now I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the adapter, assuming a driver
corruption. Kidding myself?

Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED
to go out?

The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.

OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN can
be 'disabling' it without necessarily powering it down.

I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer
is off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut
off.
Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so
I've eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the
problem box after shutdown.
Thanks

It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on,
regardless of the NIC being powered, if that's your worry.

Not worried about that. I want to get the NIC to turn off.

Old March 2nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

It is further alleged that on or about Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:43:28 -0500,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

|"David Maynard" wrote in message
| BP wrote:
| "David Maynard" wrote in message
|
|BP wrote:

|"nos1eep" wrote in message
om...

|It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
|-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
spewed the following:

||"Paul" wrote in message
...|
||I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut
|down.
||I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was
|hoping I
||missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking
|setting
||somewhere. Fate worse than death.
|In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
|Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.
|--

|I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking:
|"Wake on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did
|change "wake on settings" to Disabled, no change.
|I am almost sure that I've got all of the BIOS and OS settings correct.
|The demon just does not repond normally.
|Now I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the adapter, assuming a driver
|corruption. Kidding myself?
|
|Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED
|to go out?
|

| The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.
|
| OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN can
| be 'disabling' it without necessarily powering it down.
|
| I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
| But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
| 1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer
| is off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
| 2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut
| off.
| Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
| shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
| matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
| The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so
| I've eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the
| problem box after shutdown.
| Thanks
|
| It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on,
| regardless of the NIC being powered, if that's your worry.
|
|Not worried about that. I want to get the NIC to turn off.

Unplug it.
--

-nos1eep