Can't turn off wireless.

Old September 27th 09, 05:54 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Paul H

Default Can't turn off wireless.

I did appreciate his help, but the document mentions the 4 indicators as a
group, and the right most is for hard disk activity, so does not turn
anything on or off (I hope). None of the indicators depresses. It would be
nice if the book mentioned rubbing, not pressing. Acer documentation sucks.
But the machine is absolutely awesome - better than I could have hoped for.

As for your missing "D", I prefer to use a wireless mouse and keyboard when
at home - that could be a solution for you. I prefer the Gear Head model
KB5500W, frequently on sale at Fry's for $25.00 or so. Google the model
number, then click on "Fry's" - $19.95 just now. A very tiny dongle.
Self-installs flawlessly and instantly, like XP, Vista, and Win 7 are ready
for it. (I have 3) The mouse is a little large.

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul H wrote:
I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it,
and toggles the wireless off or on.

*You* found it?

I assume that you'll be re-replying to Adrian C and apologising for
getting it wrong and thanking him for telling you where the switch was?
--
Shaun.

If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my
laptop's keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the
other keys.

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
Paul H typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:03:46 -0500:
I just want an on-off switch, not disable it. I will only turn it
off when I am at home and plugged into Ethernet - else leave it on
in the back yard or at an internet cafe.

Yes I understand that. But on the assumption there is no switch,
then what do you want to do? Just leave it on all of the time? Or do
you want to toggle it on and off through software?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Old September 28th 09, 09:41 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
~misfit~[_13_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul H wrote:
I did appreciate his help, but the document mentions the 4 indicators
as a group, and the right most is for hard disk activity, so does not
turn anything on or off (I hope). None of the indicators depresses. It
would be nice if the book mentioned rubbing, not pressing.

It's a touch-sensitive switch. Obviously there's no need for the area above
the HDD LED to be a switch....

Acer
documentation sucks. But the machine is absolutely awesome - better
than I could have hoped for.

Good to hear.

As for your missing "D", I prefer to use a wireless mouse and
keyboard when at home - that could be a solution for you.

Yeah. My 'D' isn't missing as much as I think there is/was some crap under
it. (I've vacuumed it and tickled under it with an artist's brush..). I have
a ThinkPad T60 with one of the best keyboards in the world, I'd have to
spend a fortune to buy an external one that perfoms anywhere near as well or
is as nice to use.

Heh! Look at that! my 'D' seems to be fixed, (this is my first writing since
I cleaned it) I must edit my sig.

I prefer
the Gear Head model KB5500W, frequently on sale at Fry's for $25.00
or so. Google the model number, then click on "Fry's" - $19.95 just
now.

I'm one of the billions of people who don't live in the USA so deals at
Fry's are no good to me, but I thank you for letting me know. ;-)

A very tiny dongle. Self-installs flawlessly and instantly,
like XP, Vista, and Win 7 are ready for it. (I have 3) The mouse is
a little large.

I just use a MS basic wired optical mouse. I've tried a few wireless ones
(MS and Logitech) but find them to be not as accurate as a wired mouse for
1/4 the price. My display is 15", 1400x1050 pixels and a mouse that isn't
pixel-perfect can be very annoying.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul H wrote:
I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it,
and toggles the wireless off or on.

*You* found it?

I assume that you'll be re-replying to Adrian C and apologising for
getting it wrong and thanking him for telling you where the switch
was? --
Shaun.

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him
and he's warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

Old September 28th 09, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Adrian C

~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul H wrote:
I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it,
and toggles the wireless off or on.

*You* found it?

I assume that you'll be re-replying to Adrian C and apologising for getting
it wrong and thanking him for telling you where the switch was?

Nah, don't worry about it :-)

I merely picked up the online manual (and like hundreds of other usenet
'experts' in training) just read out the printed stuff. I don't have
that machine in front of me, but one day if I do I will have had the
heads up. So it's also me that's grateful to the OP for raising the
question.

Yes really. We all learn ;-)

--
Adrian C
Old September 30th 09, 08:52 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
~misfit~[_13_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Adrian C wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul H wrote:
I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it,
and toggles the wireless off or on.

*You* found it?

I assume that you'll be re-replying to Adrian C and apologising for
getting it wrong and thanking him for telling you where the switch
was?

Nah, don't worry about it :-)

I merely picked up the online manual (and like hundreds of other
usenet 'experts' in training) just read out the printed stuff. I
don't have that machine in front of me, but one day if I do I will
have had the heads up. So it's also me that's grateful to the OP for
raising the question.

Yes really. We all learn ;-)

Agreed. There are two reasons I read these groups; To share knowledge and to
gain it.

I was just a bit miffed on your behalf when you'd given the answer (and been
blown off) a couple of days before he proudly announced that he'd found it!
:-)
--
Shaun.