install 64-bit Win7 on 32-bit XPS M1330 laptop?

Old September 18th 12, 07:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

Default install 64-bit Win7 on 32-bit XPS M1330 laptop?

The page at the Crucial.com site for Dell's XPS M1330 laptop
(http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...el=XPS%20M1330)
implies that a 64-bit OS, say Windows 7, could run on a 32-bit
computer hardware architecture and be able to address more than
3.5GB - actually 8GB in the case of the XPS M1330.

My XPS M1330 currently has 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase
that to 4GB or 8GB, and I also have an installation DVD of 64-bit
Win7 Pro. Can I just install the 8GB of RAM and the 64-bit Win7 Pro
and successfully access all 8GB of RAM?

*TimDaniels*
Old September 18th 12, 09:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

Looking at the Intel specs for the CPU, which is a Core 2 Duo t7500,
it says "64 bit support" - whatever that means. I called Dell Tech Support
and the rep in the Philippines said that I could run Windows 7 64-bit on
the laptop with no problems other than possibly having to install different
drivers (downloadable from the Dell website), and that I would be able then
to access more than 4GB of memory. Sound good. Has anyone here done
such a thing and do you have any info to share?

*TimDaniels*

Old September 19th 12, 01:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

Default will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?

According to Dell's list of Supported Operating Systems for the XPS M1330,
32-bit OSes supported: Win7 and Vista
64-bit OSes supported: Vista

A 2nd call to Dell's Tech Support only garnered that officially, Dell "doesn't know"
if 64-bit Win7 will run on this computer, and unlike Crucial.com, Dell "doesn't know"
if any 64-bit Windows OS can access more than 4GB of memory in this computer.
(Why would a customer run 64-bit Vista if it couldn't?)

Assuming that Crucial.com is right, and the hardware will access 8GB of RAM
with a 64-bit OS, will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?

*TimDaniels*

Old September 19th 12, 04:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Timothy Daniels wrote:
According to Dell's list of Supported Operating Systems for the XPS M1330,
32-bit OSes supported: Win7 and Vista
64-bit OSes supported: Vista

A 2nd call to Dell's Tech Support only garnered that officially, Dell
"doesn't know"
if 64-bit Win7 will run on this computer, and unlike Crucial.com, Dell
"doesn't know"
if any 64-bit Windows OS can access more than 4GB of memory in this
computer.
(Why would a customer run 64-bit Vista if it couldn't?)

Assuming that Crucial.com is right, and the hardware will access 8GB of RAM
with a 64-bit OS, will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?

*TimDaniels*

Plug into a search engine, and someone will have done it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell...4-drivers.html

Search terms: "windows 7 x64 XPS M1330"

Paul

Old September 19th 12, 05:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

Tim,

One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)
and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in
Win7 were adequate.

Old September 19th 12, 05:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

Thanks. It looks like it's doable with some experimentation and some use of
newer Win7 drivers - not a no-brainer, but doable. I used the search phrase
"windows 7 x64 drivers for XPS M1330" and got lots of additional useful hits.

*TimDaniels*

"Paul" replied helpfully:

Old September 19th 12, 05:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

Thanks for your reply. Googling seems to show that there may be a problem
with the 64-bit Vista drivers for audio when used with Skype but that a driver
directly from Sigmatel solves it. A 64-bit Win7 driver for the video may also
be needed. In any event, it appears that 64-bit Win7 will run on the XPS M1330
with some experimentation with drivers and perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.
Too bad Dell doesn't supply the 64-bit Win7 drivers. It would be much easier
if they had.

*TimDaniels*

"Brian K" replied:

Old September 21st 12, 05:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:34:38 AM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Googling seems to show that there may be a problem

with the 64-bit Vista drivers for audio when used with Skype but that a driver

directly from Sigmatel solves it. A 64-bit Win7 driver for the video may also

be needed. In any event, it appears that 64-bit Win7 will run on the XPS M1330

with some experimentation with drivers and perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.

Too bad Dell doesn't supply the 64-bit Win7 drivers. It would be much easier

if they had.

*TimDaniels*

"Brian K" replied:

Tim,

One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)

and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in

Win7 were adequate.

Any time one upgrades the operating system, there is always the possibility of a snipe hunt to find compatible drivers. With most chip vendors (e.g. Intel for wifi and motherboard chipset, Sigmatel for audio), one can often find the needed drivers at the hardware chip vendors web site. But sometimes no, hence "hardware obsolescence".
Old September 24th 12, 08:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rajath N[_5_]

Hi Tim,

XPS M1330 can support up to 8GB of RAM at 667MHz and the processors are
compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows. Dell has drivers for Windows
Vista 64-bit. You can download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your
computer. This will test the laptop for its compatibility and will
provide a detailed result. You can download the software from the
following link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...pgrade-advisor

Please reply to this message if you need further information.

Old September 24th 12, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Rajath N" wrote:

Hi Tim,

XPS M1330 can support up to 8GB of RAM at 667MHz and the processors are
compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows. Dell has drivers for Windows
Vista 64-bit. You can download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your
computer. This will test the laptop for its compatibility and will
provide a detailed result. You can download the software from the
following link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...pgrade-advisor

Please reply to this message if you need further information.

Thanks, Rajath. That suggestion was also made by a Microsoft "MVP" in
alt.windows7.general, and I will check it out.

*TimDaniels*