Help! - lost mouse

Old January 26th 12, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rb[_42_]

Default Help! - lost mouse

Rhino;1326012 Wrote:

Given that the wireless mouse and keyboard were sharing the same "base
station" (or whatever it is properly called) and the keyboard never
stopped
working, what would account for the wireless mouse freezing up on me? I
have
no idea whatsoever how to troubleshoot USB issues like this.

--
Rhino

This might be of some help-- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838398

Old January 26th 12, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rhino[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 01/25/12 08:56 pm, Rhino wrote:

I'm suddenly having troubles with my mouse again today. I had some
problems with it several days ago after having the computer off for an
hour or so to install a new hard drive and DVD burner - see my
Installation Problems thread if you want details - but it finally
started working again and has been trouble free for several days. Then,
a couple of hours ago, it stopped working again for no obvious reason.

This is a desktop computer and it really slows me down to have to do all
my navigation via the keyboard so any help anyone can render would be
appreciated.

I'm not a hardware guy and I'm not sure what's relevant so I'm going to
throw out all the information I can to help you figure out what's wrong.
I'm sorry for any red herrings or irrelevancies that I may give you.....

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 with the ASUS M3A motherboard
and 2 GB of memory. The mouse and keyboard are both Microsoft wireless
models that share the same base station (or whatever you call the thing
that is actually hardwired to the USB port and transmits mouse and
keyboard signals to the computer). I've checked the mouse and battery is
good. The keyboard works fine, as you can see by the fact that I'm
typing this note ;-)

The computer started acting a bit squirrelly a few hours ago as I was
copying several large folders from one hard drive to another. (They were
each 5 to 10 GB in size and, as you can imagine, it took a noticeable
amount of time for each to be copied from one drive to the other.) As I
was waiting, I played some solitaire computer games and periodically
noticed that a mouse click would lead to a beep. It wasn't the standard
Windows beep that you get when you click on something you shouldn't.
This was a longer purer-toned beep. I've heard those periodically before
on this computer and they typically meant the system was about to have a
Blue Screen of Death: just a single one of those beeps was inevitably
followed shortly by the BSOD. I haven't had one of those in several
months - and they were always few and far between. But today, I heard
that beep several times and it was NOT followed by a BSOD. I was happy
about that but given that the computer always seems to work fine after a
BSOD and is definitely not working fine now, I'm thinking that a BSOD
might almost be good news now....

I could go through the rigamarole of trying different mice in different
USB or serial ports like I did last week after installing the drive and
burner but that seemed completely ineffective - the original mouse just
started working out of the blue that time - so I'm going to hold off
until I get your advice.

Last week when I had this problem, someone told me that they often lose
their mouse when the capacitors in the computer discharge but that it
comes back when they reboot. I've rebooted several times but the mouse
still isn't back; it's just frozen dead center in the middle of the
screen.

What can I do to diagnose this? I'm guessing that there is some kind of
hardware issue causing this but I'm not sure why it would have started
now; the mouse worked without difficulty for over 2 years until last
Monday, gave me trouble for a couple of hours, then started working
again for another 10 days. Now it's on the fritz again but I haven't
done anything in the last few days that would affect the hardware.

I have Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan devices on two different
computers, one running Win7Pro and one running "the OS for which Windows
was intended to be merely a placeholder" (namely. IBM's OS/2, in its
current OEM incarnation, eComStation, for which no viruses are known to
have ever existed outside a laboratory). On both machines the "mouse" --
actually a trackball -- will cease working from time to time, and usually
the only solution is to unplug the receiver from the computer and
reconnect it. On the Win7 machine, it's especially when the machine has
rebooted after an update that it loses contact with the trackball.

I wonder whether it's significant that both my machines use Asus
motherboards, just as yours does. One is an M2N-SLI Deluxe, the other an
M4A88TD-V EVO.

Perce

You're thinking it's one of those settings like the "Legacy USB support"
or the like ? There are usually a few settings in the USB section
you can play with.

Things like "USB legacy support" can be found on this page. Although
in this case, they didn't provide any details.

http://www.techarp.com/freebog.aspx

This is a little bit more helpful, but not by much.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...m0032641.shtml

The way some of this works, is the BIOS "pulls" something out of
the USB device and "pushed" it into the PS/2 block on the SuperI/O.
Older OSes are likely to be equipped to read PS/2 properly, so if
the BIOS works behind the scenes, the old OS can use the USB
keyboard and mouse, when strictly speaking, they shouldn't
be able to do.

Thank you both, Paul and Percival, for the suggestions. For now, the
wireless mouse is working fine. It may just have been the batteries after
all. If the problem recurs, I'll start looking for a better rechargeable
battery and charger system than the Duracell one and see if that helps.

I'm just glad the backup mouse works fine. I thought this was a recurrence
of the problem I had last week where none of my mice worked in any USB or
PS/2 port on my computer no matter how many times I tried it. I should have
just tried the spare batteries, then the backup mouse before assuming it was
the same problem and asking for help.....

--
Rhino

Old January 27th 12, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
yukonron[_20_]

Hey Rhino saw that you already had 4 post's so I figured you had things
worked out. But all of the posts were from you. You didn't mention what
kind of mouse you had. Is it a wireless. If it is could the batteries be
low? Is the receiver for the mouse in a good spot? Do you have an old
mouse that you can use until you have the problem fixed. It sure would
be alot easier to navigate to find you problem. If you don't, see if you
can borrow one for a few hours. Ok here are a few things that you can
check. First go to your device manager and check to see if there's a
problem with your mouse driver. If it's a logitech you can go to.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support-downloads . If it's any other
brand google it. Usually windows 7 has all of the drivers you would
need. You can also unistall the driver then reinstall it just download
the driver before you uninstall it. Windows should detect it when you
plug it in though. You also could be having a conflict with another
device like your wireless gaming stuff. Windows 7 also has some good
diagnostics you could try going to *StartAll Programs PC Help and
toolsHardware Diagnostics*. Let me know if the helps or if we have to
call in the "Big Guns" I'll be sure to check back this time.
PS
Just went back to read your other posts a little more carefully. Guess I
should have read them before replying. Looks like you did say what mouse
you had. It really sounds like a conflict with your gaming stuff. Try
the suggestions I gave you and it should work.