how do I clean typewriter keys?

Old December 12th 07, 08:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default how do I clean typewriter keys?

I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.

My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.

what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

Aaron
Old December 12th 07, 10:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
RCC

In message
,
" writes
I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.

My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.

what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

Aaron

In olden days people used a stiff brush (often supplied with the
typewriter and clipped to the case, have a look). In this enlightened
age, a ball of 'blu tac' systematically pushed into the typeface and
withdrawn, then re-rolled and applied to the next letter, cleans it
very well and very quickly.

--
Richard C
Old December 13th 07, 01:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Don Phillipson

wrote in message

I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.

My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.

what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

A toothbrush is messy but effective and cheap,
but cf. also Blue-Tack.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old December 13th 07, 04:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_2_]

"RCC" wrote in message
In message
,
" writes
I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.

My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.

what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

Aaron

In olden days people used a stiff brush (often supplied with the
typewriter and clipped to the case, have a look). In this enlightened
age, a ball of 'blu tac' systematically pushed into the typeface and
withdrawn, then re-rolled and applied to the next letter, cleans it very
well and very quickly.

--
Richard C

I recall some years ago that I used a tooth brush and a solvent like mineral
spirits or paint thinner, (not acetone or lacquer thinner), and put a little
on the key and the brush and brush away. However this is a little more
messy than 'blu tac' but it works. Any paint thinner you cannot wipe up
will evaporate in a day or so.

Dave

Old December 13th 07, 08:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:00:13 -0500, "Dave C."
wrote in :

"RCC" wrote in message
In message
,
" writes
[...]

Just don't light your cigarette by the typewriter in the meantime!

--
Nicolaas.

.... Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source
of mind-boggling amounts of **** when you least expect it.
Old December 13th 07, 10:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

They used to sell a mastic material for cleaning typewriter keys. It
looked a lot like the blue tack they sell now for putting posters
temporarily on the wall. You would knead it to make it pliable and it
was reusable until it got too dirty with ink. I bet the blue tack will
work fine, but once you use it on the typing keys, don't use it to mount
any papers, as it will stain them with the ink in it.

For tough buildup, you can use a sharp pin to pluck out the ribbon
residue and ink, but be very careful not to scratch the raised areas
that print the keystroke.

They used to make a typewriter key cleaning solvent which was made with
carbon tetrachloride and used a fuzzy applicator to clean the keys with,
but that stuff was taken off the market because it is a known carcinogen.

Art

Old December 13th 07, 03:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
irwell

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:40:14 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.

My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.

what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

Aaron

Maybe Scotch tape? It works for removing lint from clothing.
Old December 13th 07, 08:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
HankG

wrote in message
I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.

My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.

what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

I don't have time to read through the messages to see if this was posted,
but what I used was an old tooth brush & lighter fluid. Dampen the brush &
wipe the keys in a cicular motion (filled letters). Use a tissue to shield
the area as the random surfaces will cause the ink to spatter.

HankG

Old December 14th 07, 02:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_2_]

"HankG" wrote in message
. ..

&
wipe the keys in a cicular motion (filled letters). Use a tissue to
shield
the area as the random surfaces will cause the ink to spatter.

HankG

Lighter fluid is an another suitable solvent, naptha, I believe. Good
choice.

Old December 20th 07, 06:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Angelo Campanella

wrote:
I know this is computer printer forum, but I cannot find a group for
typewriters, so am posting here.
My Olivetti typewriter's keys are filled with junk in the "e's",
"o's", "p's", etc.
what is the best method for cleaning the keys & removing this junk?

The grooves are usually painted inside with a good white paint. I use a
toothpick to wipe out the gross gunk, then I use isopropyl alcohol to
wipe down all key surfaces and the typewriter surfaces as well. Any
residual gunk can be cleared with a bit of tissue wrapped around the
toothpick, dipped i the alcohol, and used to clear gunk. Do not pry the
white pant, else it might come out too!

I might have misunderstood you, perhaps you mean the typeface of the
swinging printer key letters. These are cleaned similarly; with a
toothpick, using isopropyl alcohol, at least 70% and preferably 90%. An
alternative if paint thinner or lacquer thinner. The latter can dissolve
the paint on the enclosure surfaces and the touch keys, so use
sparingly. 90% isopropyl alcohol is the mst efficient solvent. You have
to partially depress the touch key so the the printhead key is exposed
half way to the platen. use yur other hand to hold it there , then with
the forst hand, maneuver the toothpick. A toothbrush also works well.
Scrub and pick out the letter printing key head depressions until
satisfied.

Angelo Campanella