color inkjet ink vs. color laser printer toner?

Old June 25th 07, 01:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default color inkjet ink vs. color laser printer toner?

My wife & I have a Canon i860 color inkjet printer. We use it only
about once every 3 months. Each time one or more of the cartridges
are shown as low or dried out & we have to replace many of the ink
cartridges, even though they have not been used fully.

Would this expense & ink replacement time be lessened if we trashed
the inkjet & purchased a color laser printer?
It is said that the toner is powder that does not dry out. But are
there other problems using color laser printers?

Is the consumable expense about the same, more, or less for laser
color vs. inkjet color.

All opinions welcomed! Aaron

Old June 25th 07, 11:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nik

Aaron,

In my opinion, a laser printer is a solution. My opinion is based
purely on my experience with ink printers.
The only plus i can give to inkjets is that they produce better
photos. But if you print rarely, be sure the printer's printhead will
get clogged!

Nowadays you can find a good color laser printer making good photo
prints (but they are very very expensive).

So, if you do not need to print photos, my piece of advice is to get a
laserjet...

Nik | www.rechargeast.blogspot.com

:

Old June 25th 07, 12:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Simon Finnigan

wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife & I have a Canon i860 color inkjet printer. We use it only
about once every 3 months. Each time one or more of the cartridges
are shown as low or dried out & we have to replace many of the ink
cartridges, even though they have not been used fully.

Would this expense & ink replacement time be lessened if we trashed
the inkjet & purchased a color laser printer?
It is said that the toner is powder that does not dry out. But are
there other problems using color laser printers?

Is the consumable expense about the same, more, or less for laser
color vs. inkjet color.

Why not print out a simple page with colour every week or so, to stop the
inks drying out? That`d be the cheapest solution :-)

Old June 27th 07, 07:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

"Nik" wrote in message
ups.com
Aaron,

In my opinion, a laser printer is a solution. My opinion
is based purely on my experience with ink printers.
The only plus i can give to inkjets is that they produce
better photos. But if you print rarely, be sure the
printer's printhead will get clogged!

Nowadays you can find a good color laser printer making
good photo prints (but they are very very expensive).

So, if you do not need to print photos, my piece of
advice is to get a laserjet...

I'd go along with that. Although I've had excellent results printing full
page photos on A4 paper with my HP Colour Laserjet 2605dn (an excellent
printer which I heartily recommend, BTW).

Ivor

Old June 27th 07, 07:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nik

So, if you do not need to print photos, my piece of
advice is to get a laserjet...

I'd go along with that. Although I've had excellent results printing full
page photos on A4 paper with my HP Colour Laserjet 2605dn (an excellent
printer which I heartily recommend, BTW).

Ivor

Yes, you are right. Still, count how much a full photo page on A4
paper costs you on your HP Colour Laserjet 2605dn

Regards,
Nik | www.rechargeast.blogspot.com

Old June 27th 07, 09:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Would this expense & ink replacement time be lessened if we trashed
the inkjet & purchased a color laser printer?

I wouldn't trash that printer. I have a question, are you using OEM
ink." I have a canon printer and when I use OEM ink, it doesn't dry
as fast.

However, if you can find a color laser printer for cheap, then get
it. I've seen them advertise on slickdeals.net for $100.00 at times
after rebate. The size of the laser printer will be bigger.

Stan

Old June 28th 07, 12:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

"Nik" wrote in message
oups.com
So, if you do not need to print photos, my piece of
advice is to get a laserjet...

I'd go along with that. Although I've had excellent
results printing full page photos on A4 paper with my
HP Colour Laserjet 2605dn (an excellent printer which I
heartily recommend, BTW).

Yes, you are right. Still, count how much a full photo
page on A4 paper costs you on your HP Colour Laserjet
2605dn

As I probably print less than a dozen or so of them in a year, I really
couldn't care less ;-)

Ivor