How to detach CPU from heatsink?

Old June 19th 04, 01:16 AM
pompless

Default How to detach CPU from heatsink?

I recently bought a replacement Pentium III 550 mhz CPU on ebay but
stupidly didn't realize that the attached heatsink wouldn't fit on my
motherboard. I figured I could easily detach the heatsink from the CPU
like I did with my old one, but when I finally got the new one, I
sadly realized this wasn't the case. First of all, the metal plate
that could be unlocked on my old CPU/heatsink is firmly locked in
place on this new one, so there's no way to free the four metal
heatsink pins running through the CPU. I also assume there's some sort
of thermal paste holding the CPU to the sink which presents a whole
other problem, but from what I've read, there's a way to carefully
chisel through the paste with an exacto knife. But I can't even free
the metal pins in the first place, so it all seems hopeless. Here's a
link to a pic of the new CPU with it's immobile metal plate. As you
can see on the left, there's an additional bracket holding the plate
in place, so there's no way to slide it over:

http://tinyurl.com/2ofux

HELP!!!!
Old June 24th 04, 01:01 AM
Pat Blank

pompless wrote:

But I can't even free
the metal pins in the first place, so it all seems hopeless. Here's a
link to a pic of the new CPU with it's immobile metal plate. As you
can see on the left, there's an additional bracket holding the plate
in place, so there's no way to slide it over:

http://tinyurl.com/2ofux

HELP!!!!

From what I can see in the photo, you'll have to do some gentle "prodding"
to get that plate to slide over. Hammer and flat blade screwdriver comes to
mind. A vice would come in handy as well.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
"The examined life is no picnic." - Robert Fulghum