Western Digital RMA?

Old September 4th 13, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default Western Digital RMA?

Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that two of them were still under the factory warranty, so now what are they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives? I've never had a HD die under warranty before.
Old September 4th 13, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Davej wrote:
Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that
two of them were still under the factory warranty, so now what are
they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives? I've never
had a HD die under warranty before.

"WD's replacement Product under its limited warranty will be
manufactured from new and serviceable used parts. --- getting a refurb...

WD's warranty applies to repaired or replaced Products for
the balance of the applicable period of the original warranty
or ninety days from the date of shipment of a repaired or
replaced Product, whichever is longer."

*******

I'm guessing hell would freeze over, before you'd be
getting a new one :-)

Paul
Old September 4th 13, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:47:26 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
Davej wrote:

Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that
two of them were still under the factory warranty, so now what are
they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives? I've never
had a HD die under warranty before.

"WD's replacement Product under its limited warranty will be
manufactured from new and serviceable used parts. --- getting a refurb...

WD's warranty applies to repaired or replaced Products for
the balance of the applicable period of the original warranty
or ninety days from the date of shipment of a repaired or
replaced Product, whichever is longer."

*******

I'm guessing hell would freeze over, before you'd be
getting a new one :-)

Paul

Ah! So they'll send refurb's with life expectancies equal to the remainder of the warranty plus one day...
Old September 4th 13, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 08:05:52 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that two of them were still under the factory warranty, so now what are they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives? I've never had a HD die under warranty before.

It's been a while but I got a refurb.
Old September 4th 13, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
generic name

wrote:

Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that two of them were still under the factory warranty, so now what are they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives? I've never had a HD die under warranty before.

It's been a while but I got a refurb.

Same here. Actually, I got a refurbed 3T MyBookLive to replace the
2T nas; think I came out ahead somewhat; the explanation was whatever
was "in hand" at that time...
Old September 15th 13, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface[_2_]

Davej wrote:

Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that two of
them were still under the factory warranty,
so now what are they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives?
I've never had a HD die under warranty before.

WD sent me someone else's junk. I don't bother anymore. It's a commodity
item. Cheap. Disposable.

Old September 15th 13, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 18:50:07 -0700, "Fishface"
wrote:

Davej wrote:

Had three WD drives die in the past year and finally noticed that two of
them were still under the factory warranty,
so now what are they going to send me? New drives? Refurbished drives?
I've never had a HD die under warranty before.

WD sent me someone else's junk. I don't bother anymore. It's a commodity
item. Cheap. Disposable.

Won't do any better from Seagate, any of the others. Pot luck, even
to say I'd prefer Seagate over WD;- they've both 3- & 5-yr warrantee
models, thereabouts I'd imagine, just haven't had a Seagate fail more
of late (excluding a PS/ bad MB issue, I strongly suspect, that got a
200G Seagate a few months ago).

You get the warrantee if you've got it. A used/factory refurbished
drive that lasts right up to it expires, if not longer, whichever and
whatever comes first. Social capitalistic contract, as far as I'm
aware;- maybe someday we'll get reissued HDs under a 50-year
communistic sort of arrangement. . .I'll let you know when I hear it's
being implemented. First thing, for sure.