How Do I Remove Data from USB Backup Drive Without Removing Backup Program?

Old September 2nd 10, 04:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jim evans[_2_]

Default How Do I Remove Data from USB Backup Drive Without Removing Backup Program?

I've had very little experience with external USB drives made
especially for backup. I backup to ordinary hard drives using
software of my choosing, but several computer novice friends use these
USB backup drives.

It seems they come with backup software installed on them. Two of
these friends have just bought new computers and want to completely
remove the old backup data yet keep the preinstalled backup program.
How is this done? I tried to find the location of the software on the
disk but was unsuccessful.
Old September 2nd 10, 08:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

jim evans wrote:

I've had very little experience with external USB drives made
especially for backup. I backup to ordinary hard drives using
software of my choosing, but several computer novice friends
use these USB backup drives.

It seems they come with backup software installed on them. Two of
these friends have just bought new computers and want to completely
remove the old backup data yet keep the preinstalled backup program.
How is this done? I tried to find the location of the software on the
disk but was unsuccessful.

It should be very easy to see the backup files and delete those.

Old September 3rd 10, 02:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 02/09/2010 11:56 AM, jim evans wrote:
I've had very little experience with external USB drives made
especially for backup. I backup to ordinary hard drives using
software of my choosing, but several computer novice friends use these
USB backup drives.

It seems they come with backup software installed on them. Two of
these friends have just bought new computers and want to completely
remove the old backup data yet keep the preinstalled backup program.
How is this done? I tried to find the location of the software on the
disk but was unsuccessful.

Hard to say, perhaps the backup software was located within the USB
drives as an autoplay install. And it may have gotten overwritten during
the backups?

If they want the old backup software again, perhaps they can go onto the
manufacturer website and download a newer copy of the backup software?

Yousuf Khan