OT Western Digital WD TV

Old February 28th 10, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default OT Western Digital WD TV

This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.
Old February 28th 10, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:
This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.

In one of the reviews, a reviewer gave a link to the manual.

Try PDF page 58, for a list of formats supported. It may require
re-encoding of some of your content, before transferring to the
hard drive that plugs into the back of the device.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705033.pdf

Paul

Old March 1st 10, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

--
Jan Alter

news

Metspitzer wrote:
This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.

In one of the reviews, a reviewer gave a link to the manual.

Try PDF page 58, for a list of formats supported. It may require
re-encoding of some of your content, before transferring to the
hard drive that plugs into the back of the device.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705033.pdf

Paul

Thanks

Not only is it worth reading the manual but it would be quite helpful to
read all the reviews of folks who actually bought it on newegg. I read a few
of them and found their thoughts quite informative.

--
Jan Alter

Old March 1st 10, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
km[_3_]

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:08:25 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.

The more recent WD TV Live is worth considering as it allows Internet
connection for YouTube etc also network with PC.

By now you will no doubt have read the PDF Manual as suggested by
others.

I thoroughly recommend this to you.

km
Old March 1st 10, 11:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Metspitzer wrote:
This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.

Buy the Live version, network it, and you can play your ripped dvds all
day long. Buy the software called PlayOn and you can watch Netflix,
Hulu, CBS, and just about anything else you want. I'd dump cable tv
after buying it, but wife says no.

--

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Old March 2nd 10, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I have both the WD TV and the WD Live TV. The both play support the same formats that I know of.

The difference is the live tv can connect to utube, etc and supports a lan connection, wired or wireless.
However, it's compatability list of wireless usb devices are limited and the list WD supplies is not very
helpful as many items listed have version numbers in them that are not verifyable till you have bought
and open the package. I have 3 wireless USB devices and none are supported by the WD Live TV. FYI,
WD advises/recommends wireless-n for wireless streaming claiming you may get stuttering with anything less.

I have played mp4,divx,avi(xvid),mkv-h264,dvd in a iso wrapper, vob, and .ts for video...MP3 and Flac for audio with no problems.

The quality of the video is excellent IMO.

The WD TV does not decode DTS 5.1 via the HMDI port. However if you run an optical cable to something that does it works fine.

The WD Live TV decodes DTS 5.1 thru the HDMI Port so you can go direct from WD live to TV.

I love mine and would not be without it. I cancelled my cable tv last fall and download TV shows from the news groups

I have seen some handshaking issues that WD claims to be firmware issues with my TV's, but I'm inclined to
believe it's a WD problem. For example, sometimes when I plug in a USB thumb drive I don't get any video to my
TV unless I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. I don't recall ever haveing that issue with any other device
that connects to my tv vis hdmi.

WD does update firmware every now and then so it seems at least they try to resolve issues they can confirm.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, CJ

Old March 2nd 10, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On 02 Mar 2010 00:43:50 GMT, CaptainJack wrote:

[...]

I ordered this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

If the newer ones had built in wireless I might have bought one of
those. I have no need for HD at the present. I am guessing something
new and better will come out before the old TV dies so I didn't think
I needed HD.

Thanks everyone.

BTW I was really impressed with the list of formats it supports. img
is one format that wasn't on the list, but I think I can live without
that one.

We will see.

Old March 2nd 10, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

wrote:

This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.

I paid 59.99 for it and one day later they have it for 49.99

Anyone else order one of these because of this thread?

Old March 5th 10, 03:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

wrote:

This would be just the thing I need to hook to my 10 year old TV
if........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal-_-22136416

It would play avi, iso img and VIDEO_TS folders.

Is anyone fimiliar with what it plays? The discription included says
mpg.

After about 15 min of play time, I can already tell this thing is
worth the money.

One snag is that it doesn't seem to play TS folders that only have Vob
files. I am sure there will be a pretty easy workaround as it does
play complete TS folders.

I used the rename img to iso trick and the one I tested worked fine.

Thanks everyone

western digital 500G USB Hugh Sutherland Storage (alternative) 6 April 2nd 09 12:57 AM
Western Digital didnt_say Storage (alternative) 2 July 6th 04 11:40 AM
western digital Nitro® Homebuilt PC's 4 May 25th 04 04:49 PM
Western Digital 2000 BeeFarmer General 9 April 30th 04 08:58 PM
Western Digital WD600BB G Storage (alternative) 4 December 5th 03 02:01 AM