CPU temp reporting discrepancy?

Old April 23rd 08, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
joby

Default CPU temp reporting discrepancy?

I've got an asus P5N-D MoBo and the BIOS reports the CPU running at 50C
but the PC Probe software that came with the MoBo reports the CPU
running at 42C. Should I believe the BIOS # over the probe SW? I have no
idea why the two should report different #s, but then again, I may not
know something about where the Probe SW pulls the data. thanks for any
enlightenment.
Old April 24th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ian D

"joby" wrote in message
m...
I've got an asus P5N-D MoBo and the BIOS reports the CPU running at 50C
but the PC Probe software that came with the MoBo reports the CPU running
at 42C. Should I believe the BIOS # over the probe SW? I have no idea why
the two should report different #s, but then again, I may not know
something about where the Probe SW pulls the data. thanks for any
enlightenment.

There's a setting in the BIOS called C1E which is enabled by default.
This setting runs the CPUat a slower speed with light load, and
increases it to full speed when the OS requires performance.
For example a 2.4 GHz E6600 runs at 6X multiplier, or 1600 MHz
on light demand, and at the full 9X for 2400 MHz on high demand.
When the system first boots up the CPU runs at full speed until
the OS loads, therefore the BIOS will show a higher temp. If you
disable C1E, the CPU will run at full speed at all times, so the two
readings should be closer. Also, you will find that Windows will
be a bit snappier. The only downside will be that the CPU will run
a few degrees hotter, in your case 50C vs 42C. No harm done.

ID

Old April 24th 08, 11:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , joby
says...
I've got an asus P5N-D MoBo and the BIOS reports the CPU running at 50C
but the PC Probe software that came with the MoBo reports the CPU
running at 42C. Should I believe the BIOS # over the probe SW? I have no
idea why the two should report different #s, but then again, I may not
know something about where the Probe SW pulls the data. thanks for any
enlightenment.

Both are **** and should only be used as a guideline. The only accurate
method is using a thermal probe.

--