DELL DIMENSION RAM PROBLEM

Old February 10th 04, 10:14 AM
DJ FAN

Default DELL DIMENSION RAM PROBLEM

Ok I've recently purchased a Dell Dimension 8300 2.6 800mb fsb
512 ram (2x256 pc3200 ddr400) I'm running music software and want to
run photoshop. I've been keeping my eye on the ram Dell says I can use
4gb I'm thinking 2gb (4x512 pc3200 will work) so I go into Best Buy
and they have 512 2 packs (kit) of kingston value ram for $64 after
rebate yet right next to the kingston is a single stick of corsair 512
for $159 i'm like ??? I know the prices are lower on the net because I
keep track of that but the Kingston value ram site is showing the
kvr400ak2/512r at $102. all the numbers on the Kingston match 875p
chipset, 400mhz ddr, pc3200 184 pin dimm the only problem is the back
of the kingston package states "fsb will run at 400mhz only" now I'm
lost. I sure would like to have 4 sticks of 512 pc3200 for $130 but it
seems like its too good to be true AND as usual the "pros" in the
store know nothing. Can anyone help explain this low price, should i
go for the 2gb of value ram? I don't want to give up my 800mhz fsb
and, how can i tell that i am indeed running at 800 fsb can i look in
the control panel or maybe the bios or run a diagnostic software. also
dell is telling me 3200 or 2700 and if I use 2700 the machine will run
slower.I'm also wondering if i can run 3500,3700 or 4000 I plan on
running pro tools cubase reason cep2/adobe audition and lots of plugs
and rme sound card TIA

FAN
Old February 10th 04, 12:40 PM
S.Lewis

"DJ FAN" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Use the system RAM configuration tool at www.crucial.com . Cheap RAM is a
risk in that 1) it may not work at all 2) it may appear to work fine but
cause random odd system errors or crashes that are hard to initially pin
down 3) it is a pain to return if not backed by a quality vendor.

You've got a nice system. Use PC3200 DDR recommended by a good vendor. It
may cost you a little more now, but will be well worth it in the long run.

Stew

Old February 10th 04, 04:16 PM

Quite simply the ValueRam will work and here's why: the pc3200 spec is the
key. If the memory says that it is running the 3200 spec it will run on
your system at 800MHz fsb. This is because your system will be running at a
400MHz fsb X 2, hence the 800MHz fsb speed. In order to meet the 3200 spec
the memory MUST do this.

The caveat on the back of the package is there because this memory is NEVER
overclockable and must be run at 400MHz. This is why it's ValueRam.

I used to use ValueRam in all of my new systems and NEVER had a problem with
memory, nor were my customers dissatisfied. However, it will not overclock
by any means.

Best of luck!
TD
om...

Old February 11th 04, 03:26 AM
TechniKal

Kingston ValueRam works fine in my 4600, running in dual channel mode
@ 400 mhz and matching quite nicely with the 'stock' ram that came in
the system. It's a good deal, too. However, you're comparing apples
to oranges. The memory you mentioned - KVR400AK2/512R - isn't 2
sticks of 512mb memory - it's two sticks of 256mb memory - making
512mb total. It's still a good deal, but it's not going to get you to
the 2 gb you want in your pc.