GA-965P-DS4 installed SATA Raid Mirror with DVR

Old September 3rd 06, 09:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Milamber

Default GA-965P-DS4 installed SATA Raid Mirror with DVR

Hi all and TIA,
Have installed XP sp2 on a new system with 2x 320gig SATA drives
in Raid mode mirrored.OS all ok once drivers were loaded but the Pioneer
DVR-111D comes up in the Raid Bios POST and not in windows.
It is connected to the IDE and I had to use it in an external USB case to
install
XP.
Anyone help with why DVR won't show in XP but does in the Raid Bios?
DVR works fine on IDE in another comp. Have newest F3 bios for mobo;
is it a bios setting maybe?

regards
Please advise!?!!

Old September 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Iken

Milamber wrote:
Hi all and TIA,
Have installed XP sp2 on a new system with 2x 320gig SATA drives
in Raid mode mirrored.OS all ok once drivers were loaded but the Pioneer
DVR-111D comes up in the Raid Bios POST and not in windows.
It is connected to the IDE and I had to use it in an external USB case to
install
XP.
Anyone help with why DVR won't show in XP but does in the Raid Bios?
DVR works fine on IDE in another comp. Have newest F3 bios for mobo;
is it a bios setting maybe?

regards
Please advise!?!!

Hi

According to the manual, and based purely on logic, I'd set the 'Onboard
SATA/IDE device' to IDE, not to RAID/IDE or AHCI. If you already have that
setting, then try the others. If none work, then I'm worried - I plan to
buy this board very shortly (I got the manual via the GB website - I
research, a lot, before buying ;-) ).

Would you mind posting back the results and your opinions of the board?

Thanks, and good luck - for both of us!

Regards

Old September 4th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Nick Carter

I have the similar DS3 board(single graphics slot otherwise same). The setup
for the disk controllers is very vague but this is what I find: If you use
the Gigabyte RAID controller, you cannot have IDE pata devices working too.
Use the separate Intel RAID controllers for the sata hard drives.

Connected with this, support for DOS has been dropped and there is no way to
load DOS CDrom drivers for these boards. This is very annoying as I like to
do DOS backups of XP.

You can boot though from CDrom using a floppy image but the DOS drivers to
read the CDrom do not load. Only way round that is to make eltorito CDs
which are basically a hard drive image.

On the plus side, it seems that absolutely any USB device works in DOS
without drivers so it is easy to run my DOS software from memory stick after
booting from CD.

Otherwise mobo is great, but watch out for memory selection, it only accepts
memory with 555 timing above 512 Mb.

Old September 5th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Iken

Nick Carter wrote:
I have the similar DS3 board(single graphics slot otherwise same). The
setup for the disk controllers is very vague but this is what I find: If
you use the Gigabyte RAID controller, you cannot have IDE pata devices
working too. Use the separate Intel RAID controllers for the sata hard
drives.

That's a sound piece of advice, and what I planned to do anyway. Not sure
if the OP has the same layout.

Connected with this, support for DOS has been dropped and there is no way
to load DOS CDrom drivers for these boards. This is very annoying as I
like to do DOS backups of XP.

You can boot though from CDrom using a floppy image but the DOS drivers to
read the CDrom do not load. Only way round that is to make eltorito CDs
which are basically a hard drive image.

I strongly recommend Acronis True Image - the boot CD does
images/restores/clones beautifully.
Currently using v8, apparently v9 can image directly to DVD (within Windows
I believe)
..

On the plus side, it seems that absolutely any USB device works in DOS
without drivers so it is easy to run my DOS software from memory stick
after booting from CD.

Good to know!

Otherwise mobo is great, but watch out for memory selection, it only
accepts memory with 555 timing above 512 Mb.

I've ordered a pair of 512MB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400A CAS5 - is that OK?

Thanks for your input

Regards,

Old September 5th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

I'm pretty sure that support for DOS is not dropped, since the Gigabyte
web site has DOS drivers for the Gigabyte RAID/SATA/IDE controller
(which is apparently just a JMicron controller). Certainly lots of
things on the motherboard won't run if you boot DOS, but for utility
tasks (including among other things flashing the BIOS), I'm pretty sure
that you CAN boot DOS, and that with the DOS drivers from the web site
you can even access IDE drives on the JMicron (Gigabyte) controller.

[If you make a bootable floppy with the DOS drivers, and use that floppy
as the image for the bootable CD, you should be fine, since the driver
would be loaded as part of the image. But, in fact, on the few
occasions when I use DOS, I usually am booting from a floppy drive
rather than a CD.]

Also, while the comment that "If you use the Gigabyte RAID controller,
you cannot have IDE pata devices working too" may be correct, my
understanding is that it doesn't apply if you have non-RAID SATA drives
connected to that controller. Which, in fact, is what I'm planning to
do, because that controller supports AHCI and NCQ, which the Intel ICH8
controller does not. So the plan is to connect two IDE hard drives
(non-raid, just "plain old IDE") and two optical drives to that controller.

My board is scheduled to arrive on Thurs. or Friday, and I'm holding my
breath on the memory (Corsair 2x512MB PC2-6400 (800MHz DDR2)). My
concern is the voltage, I think that the Corsair is 1.9v or 2.0v, and
the board is likely to come with the F3 BIOS. There is some question as
to whether or not any BIOS prior to F4 will support this memory (or any
memory above 1.8 volts).

.

Old September 5th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

"So the plan is to connect two IDE hard drives (non-raid, just
"plain old IDE") and two optical drives to that controller."

should have read:

"So the plan is to connect two SATA hard drives (non-raid, just "plain
old SATA") and two IDE optical drives to that controller."

Old September 9th 06, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Milamber

Hi again all,
Thankx heaps for all the input and have found where i went wrong,
there are 2 SATA settings, i left the top SATA alone and purely set the
bottom OnBoard SATA
to Raid/IDE and the Gigabyte Raid kicks in as sees SATA HD's and DVR,
but in XP u need to install a Dual Channel IDE port and whamo ya DVR pops
up.
If u install MS's Raid driver GB36x or similar u need to re-iinstall the
dual IDE channel driver again
or u'll lose all IDE devices.
Now to the sound locking up issue i have with this board.
I have bought MANY giga mobos over the years and never had this much hassel
with them
not working properly/easily or reliably. But i'll get there!!

"Milamber" wrote in message
Hi all and TIA,
Have installed XP sp2 on a new system with 2x 320gig SATA drives
in Raid mode mirrored.OS all ok once drivers were loaded but the Pioneer
DVR-111D comes up in the Raid Bios POST and not in windows.
It is connected to the IDE and I had to use it in an external USB case to
install
XP.
Anyone help with why DVR won't show in XP but does in the Raid Bios?
DVR works fine on IDE in another comp. Have newest F3 bios for mobo;
is it a bios setting maybe?

regards
Please advise!?!!

Asus P5W DH Deluxe - which is the best RAID controller ?? Synapse Syndrome Asus Motherboards 12 August 17th 06 02:53 AM
8KNXP 1.x Hard drive config NeilA Gigabyte Motherboards 16 July 3rd 05 01:02 AM
SCSI vs SATA Hih-Perf [email protected] Storage (alternative) 48 March 30th 05 12:36 AM
IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Adding SATA drive to 8KNXP Bob Davis Gigabyte Motherboards 10 January 23rd 04 09:25 AM