Help: PC does not see hard drive

Old July 24th 03, 09:05 PM
steve

Default Help: PC does not see hard drive

I fear the worse with this.
My PC has will not boot up. First it did not see the hard drive, the
following day it saw it and ran scandisk. Surface scan then started running
and it found 4 bad clusters (fixed) in the first 26% then just hung.
Now it will not see the hard drive at all.
Am I right in thinking I need a new one?
If I do will a straight swop of a similar hard drive be allright or could
there be a more underlying problem.
Thank you.
--
remove noreply

Old July 24th 03, 09:57 PM
philo

"steve" wrote in message

I fear the worse with this.
My PC has will not boot up. First it did not see the hard drive, the
following day it saw it and ran scandisk. Surface scan then started

running
and it found 4 bad clusters (fixed) in the first 26% then just hung.
Now it will not see the hard drive at all.
Am I right in thinking I need a new one?
If I do will a straight swop of a similar hard drive be allright or could
there be a more underlying problem.
Thank you.
--
remove noreply

it could be bad...
but first check to see if the bios can detect it...
also check the cables to see if maybe something is loose...

Old July 24th 03, 11:29 PM
Proto

"steve" wrote in message

I fear the worse with this.
My PC has will not boot up. First it did not see the hard drive, the
following day it saw it and ran scandisk. Surface scan then started

running
and it found 4 bad clusters (fixed) in the first 26% then just hung.
Now it will not see the hard drive at all.
Am I right in thinking I need a new one?
If I do will a straight swop of a similar hard drive be allright or could
there be a more underlying problem.
Thank you.
--
remove noreply

Download the manufactures diagnostic

Old July 25th 03, 10:04 PM
steve

Thanks for the replies.
I was right with my thoughts, the hard drive is to blame. Put a new one in
and it works now. Just got to load all the software again.
Thanks for the help.